Insect repellent

Gazza

Visit site
Will be leaving Uk at the end of the month for a transatlantic circuit over two years and would be grateful for any advice/experience as to effective insect repellents for Caribbean use.

I'm told that it is a vital part of the survival kit.

Thanks.

Gary Miller

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewJ

Visit site
There is some stuff by AVON, called "SKin so Soft", which I've used with great success. (I got the
info from my son who was in the US Marines and they used it rather than the repellant the military was handing out)
The nice thing is it doesn't block the skin pores like so many insect repellants, so you stay cooler.
(the version other than the bath oil is best.)

<hr width=100% size=1>

jeanne

Visit site
We didn't have any trouble with mossies when at anchor, only ashore in the evenings. I am very susceptible to bites - everything makes a bee line for me, but found Skin so Soft hand and body lotion good - the green one, not pink! For a 'real' repellent, Autan was good, especially round the ankles. There is one other method - taking Brewers Yeast tablets (they smell like marmite!) seems to make you unpleasant to the little critters. No see'ums are the worst biters - and it's true, you don't see'um! They are tiny sand thingies.

<hr width=100% size=1>

salvex

Visit site
Having lived here in Nassau since january and in Barbados for 15 months before that, you are right to be planning for this. There is quite a bit of dengue fever in Barbados for instance - a direct result of mosquito bites. However, as stated above, it's mainly onshore that the problem exists so if you're cruising you shouldn't be bothered as much.

However, because of this, there are loads of things available locally from ointments to sprays, special lamps and electrical 'plug-ins'. One that is found quite often is called 'Off' and is available in different forms i.e. room spray and skin application.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jleaworthy

Visit site
Skin so Soft is selling well here in the North of Scotland. And as you all know there is no insect in the world more virulently determined than the Highland Midge.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spicemariner

Visit site
We are living in the Caribbean at the moment and, like the others, find that on board there is not too much of a problem, only really on shore. Deep Woods Off is really good and is sold in all the islands. On the boat we have a battery operated fan mossie killer and this is very effective, even with the hatches open. Get your GP to prescribe some anti itch cream, the POM creams really are effective and if you get bitten you don't scratch. I've just bought one of the "click" devices that are also supposed to get rid of the itch but have yet to try it in anger. We go back at the beginning of September and I'll post if it works well.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Strathglass

Visit site
I can vouch for that. All the locals in our village use it. Great thing is that it is not too strongly scented.

Iain

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Confirm it's vital, specially for the "noseeum"s around the ankles. We use one called 'Jungle Formula Extra Strength' which I can vouch for, I think Boots now sells it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sealion

Visit site
Avon Skin So Soft is the only repellent recommended by the Airboat Guides in the Florida Everglades. Most other repellents use an ingredient that has been found to have detrimental side effects on young children.

Skin So Soft also contains a #30 sun blocker and is benificial tor healthy skin.

<hr width=100% size=1>