injector leak?

B.A.

Visit site
Good Day, I seem to have a fuel leak in may 3gm30f diesel under the injector retainer. At first I thought that it was in the fuel line as it drips off the nut but have determined that it is coming from above. It is not from the return line. Does this mean that a have a bad washer or something worse? I thought that a leak here would be highly pressurized and easy to see but only seeing/feeling fuel easily after it accumulates enough to drip off the fuel line nut. Any thoughts on what I'm seeing would be appreciated.

neil_s

Visit site
If I understand your post - you have a small drip from your diesel injector fuel inlet. This will probably be a nipple on the end of the fuel pipe into a tapered seat on the top of the injector - no washers or other sealing stuff. Steel on steel. Try tightening the clamp nut. if that doesn't work, it is a problem to fix. On my Bukh I ended up buying new high pressure pipes and refinishing the tapered seats in the top of the injectors in a lathe.

black mercury

Visit site
You could have a leak at the top of the injector where the fuel return is located. The top unscrews revealing the injector spring and shims but there is a washer underneath this. Make sure it's tight. You will more than likely have to remove the injector clamp, which means you will have to remove the injector to hold it.

B.A.

Visit site
Thanks. I'm going to have it looked at by a mechanic when one is available.They are rare as hens teeth around here. I know it's not the fuel intake as it originates above this. I think that the washer is probably part of the prob. I'll let you know. Thanks again

dac31

Visit site
I know from experience with cars that if the pipes are not seated exactly then tightening does not always work and the diesel does indeed pool rather than spray. Removing the line and inspecting for deformation and scoring before doing your best at holding the line in a good seated position whilst gradually tightening usually works. I've not worked on marine engines though.