Information Re Medicine In Spain

G

This post is as a result of a request for help from a liveaboard couple in Spain via the Cruising Association Mediterranean Section 'MedNet' e-mail group:
Can anyone suggest a way in which they can obtain medicine in Spain without incurring large costs.They have their E111 but have been told that this is only good for 6 months and that the the E121 and the E106 do not apply as their yacht does not count as a permanent Spanish address.If anyone has any knowledge of this then any posts would be welcome.(I have to declare a personal interest as my wife and I will be shoving off later this year and will face the same problem).Getting someone to post medicine from the UK is one idea but it may not be practicable in the case of this couple.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
most medecines which are prescription-only in uk are obtainable over the counter in spain. of course you face paying the real cost of the drug as opposed to the uk prescription charge. i was luck in that my medication cost half the price of the uk.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
It's often the case, that medicine in Spain is cheaper than UK prescription, but if you need expensive drugs, I get them prescribed in the UK and then have a friend collect them and post them to me at whatever address I'm at. Only ever needed to do it once, I'm normally fairly healthy!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

yachttequilla

Visit site
Hi,

You can get an open ended E111. See my string on page 2 of this board "EU medical cover" for the various confusion around the topic.

We got told 6m only initially but if you speak to International Services section of DSS in Newcastle you can get open ended version - we have.

Took my wife many calls and passed section to section- no she doesn't have name/number unfortunately, just asked her. But international section is the section stamp that issued it to us.

We are about to set off on 2y trip around Med strarting Cadiz in Spain next Monday, so no permanent address other than mobile boat.

Good luck in dealing with the DSS, requires some patience!!

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>