Inflatable tender

Denek

Visit site
I am looking for a tender for our boat and came across Boatworld. Has anyone purchased one of their own brand tenders? They seem remarkably inexpensive but I wondered what the quality was like?
Been looking on eBay but these are cheaper brand new then most of the used ones on e bay.
Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

pvb

Visit site
Boatworld-branded inflatables haven't been on the market very long, so there may not be many owners around to comment. They are made in China from what looks like reasonable PVC fabric, although if you compare their stated weight with similar sized inflatables from established brands, you may find the Boatworld ones are a bit lighter. In terms of price, they're not much cheaper than Seago boats.

coveman

Visit site
You should be able to pick up an Avon Redstart or Redcrest on Ebay for a reasonable sum. They will last much better even if they are old already. I bought a Redstart on Ebay for £275 ten years ago and its still as good as when I bought it even though it has a couple of patches. If you can find one with an engine mounting bracket and seat even better! Nothing much on Ebay at the moment though.

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
You should be able to pick up an Avon Redstart or Redcrest on Ebay for a reasonable sum. They will last much better even if they are old already. I bought a Redstart on Ebay for £275 ten years ago and its still as good as when I bought it even though it has a couple of patches. If you can find one with an engine mounting bracket and seat even better! Nothing much on Ebay at the moment though.

Maybe, but remember that inflatables have progressed a bit since the days of the Redstart/Redcrest. I sold my old Redcrest on eBay because I wanted a decent rigid transom tender with an airdeck floor. It's so much nicer than the old Avon!

Goldie

Visit site
Maybe, but remember that inflatables have progressed a bit since the days of the Redstart/Redcrest. I sold my old Redcrest on eBay because I wanted a decent rigid transom tender with an airdeck floor. It's so much nicer than the old Avon!

True, but where stowage space is at a premium, the old Avon Redstart & Redcrest still take a lot of beating. The older of my two I bought new - in 1984!

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Old Avons are great from the point of view of compact stowage. They roll up easily and fit into small spaces. But there are new lightweight inflatables with airdecks and transoms that give you a bigger and drier dinghy for the same weight. As for longevity, too soon to say. But it certainly adds to the longevity of your back...

Denek

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
Boat does not go in the water till April so we have a little time to sort it out. May well give one of these new ones a try if nothing turns up on eBay

ctva

Visit site
If you lived in Scotand, I’ve got a spare (long story) Seago 270 Airdeck that I will be selling this spring for £250 when I get around to it.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
My "cheap" Chinese inflatable dinghy has lasted almost 12 years. It is the Waveline 2.9 with V inflatable floor. Excellent value for money, thick tubes, quick to plane, it has been used and abused with kids and dogs jumping in and out and dragging it around. Has been kept outside during winters uncovered but I noticed that the tubes are becoming porous; no bad for £499 back then. So, I now have a new Honwave (Honda) 2.7m; I hope it lasts as long as the Waveline. I also have an old Avon Hypalon, but these dinghies had their days; they are old and uncomfortable; it is stored away for "emergencies".

Denek

Visit site
So it sounds like the new breed of inflatables are not bad then. We will be on a swinging mooring so we mostly be used just to get to an from the boat although maybe a few little expeditions also.