Inflatable or RIB as a tender

G

It's been suggested to me that an inflatable and an electric pump to inflate and deflate would save cost, space and weight when lifting onto the bathing platform. Also I wouldn't need a crane, passerelle or davits.

Is this reasonable? I'm real happy to save money but I don't want to make serious problems for myself. Advice, please from anyone who has tried this.

G

I have both a small RIB and an inflatable. I tend to keep the inflatable deflated below decks and only use it occassionally. I use the RIB to get out to the boat on its mooring. The better boat by far is the RIB but like you I also have davits but prefer not to keep the tender there. For the amount of use it gets away from my home port I find the inflatable more convenient. I also have an electric pump which although very fast to inflate is a nuisance to connect to the batteries and therefore is never used. The Avon footpump is almost as quick and much more convenient. It all boils down to how often you intend to use the tender and to how safe it is left on board and the convenience factor. Either is good but which is best is down to you. Hope this helps.

G

RIB is much better than inflatable obviously. Why not have a RIB and still no davits crane or pass? We have a 2.8m RIB with 5hp outboard that is very easy for even one person to lift (drag) onto chocks on the bathing platform. Only catch is you need a fairly big bathing platform, enough for the beam of the RIB and some space to walk side to side just astern of the transom, even when the RIB is sitting in its chocks