inboard/sterndrive/outboard

G

I am looking for comparison tests done on identical boats powered by inboards, sterndrives and outboards.
Van snyone help

Will

jfm

Visit site
For indoard vs sterndrive on the same boat, see the sealine 40 footer test in MBM/MBY about 3 mths ago. Also the smaller Princess V series have a choice of nboard/sterndrive, there was a thread on here about 2 weeks ago.

For outboard vs sterndrive on the same boat look at all the US manufactured 2-24 footers.

I dont think you'll find a comparison of all three drives on the same boat

hlb

RIP
Visit site
You cant do a comparison. Each has it's strengths and weeknesses.
If you just want to know which is fastest. Probably out drives or outboards. But then again...............................................

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

BarryH

Visit site
I've got a 21 footer with a sterndrive. I know another person with the same boat that has an outboard. My boat has slightly less power yet is a tad faster on accleration and top speed. The wieght is a bit further forward in my boat not hung right out back. Also my servicing and fuel costs are a bit lower. My boat has a V**** 145 and his boat has a mariner 175.

Wha'dya mean "I'm always playing with this engine" its the only way to get it to run!

G

Thanks to you all. I realise that each of the options has its pros and cons. As suggested in the last post however, I was after performance comparison tests.
I'll check out the mby test....

Will

burgundyben

Visit site
If your soley interested in performance then I guess it has to be out obards or sterndrives as they offer you the chance to adjust the angle between the prop and the plane that you want to travel in, props suffer in this respect as they are slanted downwards, but like hlb I am guessing a bit.

To me, the other issues are much more important than performance and I would not have bought anything other than a shaft drive.

......girls, girls, get back, please, one at a time......

adarcy

Visit site
Years ago (I forget how many) MBY did a v comprehensive test on the Fairline Corniche 31 and compared the performance of shaft and sterndrives on the same hull - although they also llooked/reported on the twin v tri cab versions. V good article. I'm sure you could get it through their Copyshop.

If not, let me know......(not trying to do you out of anything Kim)

Anthony