Importing a used US boat.

G

Hi there,
Toying with the idea of buying a used boat in the US or Caribbean (much cheaper!) for about £35K but realise it wouldn't be EU vat paid.
Therefore anyone got any advice on where the best EU port of entry would be (ie least VAT) to pay import duty?
Any thoughts gratefully received!
Cheers
Colin

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
When I was in Horta in 98, I was told it was the best place for paying the VAT as the rate in the Azores was only 13.5% and the value of the boat was "negotiable". There are various agents in Horta who are well versed in these matters though I can't recall any names. Another problem that might come up is the "CE" certification ("RCD directive"), a ,matter on which I have no clue...
john

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Be Afraid. Be Very Very Afraid

>Another problem that might come up is the "CE" certification ("RCD directive"), a ,matter on which I have no clue...<

The clue that I don't have much of either is alleged to say "If it don't have a CE approval, it'll cost you a fortune to get it, IF YOU GET FOUND OUT".

Of course if you buy a recent European boat over 'there' or one of the US models imported commercially like a Hunter or an Island Packet then it's probably got a CE stamp somewhere on its bum.

G

Re: Be Afraid. Be Very Very Afraid

Hi Ken,
Does this apply to older boats as well? I've currently got a 1975 Halcyon 27 and it hasn't got a ce mark. Therefore a similar vintage of anything won't have either. (I'm looking at a late 70's Cheoy Lee clipper 36) Surely this doesn't retrospectively apply does it? Has the EU gone mad?!!!!
Cheers Colin
Possum
East Coast UK

G

Cheers John,
That's a useful tip. Also makes the Carribbean, bermuda, azores a good sensible option.
Many thanks
Colin

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site

Colin,

My understanding is that boats that were in Europe when the scheme was introduced are exempt. But that anything pre-dating the regs that comes in subsequently has to comply. BUT I'm hardly an expert, this is just vague memories of something I read some time ago. Someone somewhere is bound to have chapter and verse.

G

Thanks Ken,
Good to have the warning and it is
unbelievable really, a boat that has been sailing for circa 20 years is deemed unsafe by the EU, truely beaurocrasy gone mad!!!!
Cheers Colin

B

bob_tyler

"Has the EU gone mad?!!!!"

It always has been!!!!!!!