Impending collapse of blue fin tuna stocks

Neeves

Visit site
Restrict fishing, or an opportunity to earn a living, and you move the problems somewhere else.

These are Spanish owned boats with Spanish skippers in, Manta, Peru

IMGP4215 3.jpeg

IMG_0571 4.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg

The Peruvians also fish for Tuna but on a smaller scale.

This is a typical local Tuna boat, Manta (I think the biggest tuna port in the world) - as you will recognise - antifouling (Hempel's Olympic).

IMGP4186.jpeg

Restrict fishing in one part of the world and move the issue somewhere else (and maybe reduce the income for the locals).

Life is not fair.

Jonathan

Attachments

• IMG_0571 3.jpeg
    IMG_0571 3.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2

Neeves

Visit site
Maybe this should be in The Lounge, or the PBO section - but I include this post here, as it seem appropriate. My views, of course are based on ignorance. And I'm not going to mention their anchor wardrobes. :)

I spent some time in Manta, different visits. The Spanish Tuna boats use the big commercial port but the local boats anchor off beach within walking distance of the commercial port. The servicing of the local boats is a complete revelation, typified by the antifouling process, see previous post.

I implied in the earlier post that Manta was in Peru - it is of course in Equador.

These pictures are indicative of the skills used. Typical, well sort of, PBO stuff

The boats are wooden and seem to need continuous repair.

This is one boat that is having a hull repair. I did not work out if they removed the engines when beached.

IMG_0524.jpeg

and they appeared to be conducting this between the tides.

We use a variation on Sika - they use straw and, I assume tar, though I did not see any tar.

IMG_0526.jpeg

Further down the beach was a vessel whose hull had been removed and it was being replaced. Crafting of the wood was a revelation.
IMG_0540.jpeg

It makes you realise how lucky you are.

Industry like this works without any controls, no environmental laws, health and safety left to the individual (note the helmet :) ). There seem to be sufficient risks that they are unlikely to fish out their fishing ground, natural selection will sort them out - the Spanish boats change the balance.

So restrict tuna fishing off the Spanish and Portuguese coasts and how does the industry survive - but move somewhere else....

It puts into perspective buying a tin of tuna in the supermarket or 'fresh' tuna from the fish monger (the tuna in the net unloading, previous post, from the Spanish boat are all frozen).

Jonathan

Last edited: