I'm hearing rumours about a "Tourist Tax" in Portugal

Stingo

Visit site
Discussed briefly at my local boozer this evening (fueled by cheap beer and wine): There are rumours in Portugal that the gubbermunt are debating a tourist tax. Locals and residents that present their Resident's Card won't have to pay it in hotels, bars, restaurants etc. Tourists (and locals that don't have their cards on them) will have an additional percentage added to their tab in the form of a Tourist Tax.
The locals think it's a terrible idea that will drive the tourists to Spain, or worse; The Canaries!
Have any of you that live in Portugal heard anything?

Sailfree

Visit site
Discussed briefly at my local boozer this evening (fueled by cheap beer and wine): There are rumours in Portugal that the gubbermunt are debating a tourist tax. Locals and residents that present their Resident's Card won't have to pay it in hotels, bars, restaurants etc. Tourists (and locals that don't have their cards on them) will have an additional percentage added to their tab in the form of a Tourist Tax.
The locals think it's a terrible idea that will drive the tourists to Spain, or worse; The Canaries!

I think that would be too hard to administer. A bed tax is far easier and used in many places eg Venice. If your resident you don't need a bed!!

Clancy Moped

Visit site
It already happens in Spain...

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Oh you lot do get yourselves into a froth. It's more than likely to be administered by hotels/holiday rentals/etc as a nominal fee per night. It's not unique and is done in many cities and countries.

Agreed. Unless tourist tax is to be imposed on marina foreign visitors (which I hope is not the case) it won't change anything for the sailing community.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
There's no love for it Mallorca, it was originally sold as an Eco tax to spend on environmental issues, but it just get swallowed into the general pot.

shan

Visit site
Simply flashing your Residence Card means you're not a tourist, i.e. no tourist tax
Not really - if you go stay overnight in a hotel/Airbnb/rented accommodation in another City that has a tourist tax, you will still be charged it because, you're essentially visiting that city as a tourist - whether you are a resident or citizen is irrelevant.

srm

Visit site
Not really - if you go stay overnight in a hotel/Airbnb/rented accommodation in another City that has a tourist tax, you will still be charged it because, you're essentially visiting that city as a tourist - whether you are a resident or citizen is irrelevant.
That was my experience in Porto a few years ago ( a couple of months before Covid lock down).
If I remember correctly the tax was made as a separate payment to the accommodation fee.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Just another tax on top of the many others which have to be absorbed by hotels in Türkiye. As far as I'm aware hotels are not planning to bill this tax separately but obviously it will be reflected in the room rate charged to tour operators and guests.
One plus, as I see it, is that the tax is a % rather than a crude per diem charge. It means people on a budget booking cheaper room-only accommodation will not be paying the same as those staying in ultra all-inclusive 5 star resorts.