If you had an offset propellor, would you prefer folding or feathering?

DoubleEnder

Visit site
This would be on a small long keeled sailing yacht. Current install is a 12 inch 3 bladed fixed prop offset to port. Not sure of the pitch, yet. Engine is 10hp. If I were to upgrade, (to reduce drag when sailing which must be significant) what do you think? Folding, feathering, pros &cons from experience?
thank you

Tranona

Visit site
Small folding propellers are very limited in choice with not much under 13". Best bet would be a Featherstream 3 blade. I have had both folders (Flexofold) and featherers (JF and Featherstream) the JF is the forerunner of the Featherstream and it was fitted to a Yanmar 1GM and then a Nanni 14 although that was atypical as it had a 3:1 reduction and 15". If you have a 1GM then suspect you have the 2:2:1 with a 12" propeller. a Featherstream 12" as the big advantage of the option of a different ratio in reverse which is really useful for the Yanmar box which has a 3:1 reverse. So expect much better reverse performance because you can match the pitch better. Cornish Shrimpers fit that propeller in the 19 and 21 with a 1GM.

In general you will notice a difference in sailing performance, particularly in light airs, at least equal motoring in forward and better in reverse. A 2 blade folder may not give as good motoring because at 12" there is less blade area, but a 13" would be better, although you may then get tip clearance issues.

Suggest you talk to Darglow Engineering.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Second a recommendation to speak to (Nick at) Darglow. They make the Featherstream and are UK agents for the Flexofold. Their workshop in Wareham is like an Alladin's Cave of polished bronze!

B27

Visit site
Folding props are often available secondhand at sensible prices.
If the 12" is right for 3 blade, then 2 blade folder may need to be bigger? Will there be space?

It's definitely worth doing from a drag point of view when sailing.

Romeo

Visit site
How small is the yacht? To properly reduce drag you could change to an electric outboard hung over the side.

bedouin

Visit site
I have an offset prop with a moderate keel. When I bought the boat it had a 2 blade fixed and the behaviour of the boat with the engine in reverse was extremely unpredictable.

I replaced that with a 3 bladed folding Gori and that transformed the boat handling under power.

The choice of the Gori over other alternatives was due to physical constraints. In other installations I think the Darglow or Autoprop (or Kiwi or Maxprop) would be (almost) as good. Note the 3 Blade Gori is an unusual prop and probably works better than a 3 bladed fixed prop.

The issue may be with how large a prop you can fit. I could only fit a 15" and it was only the Gori 3 blade would fit.