If Carlsberg made used boat sales videos.....

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Bumped into Adam, formerly Princess Sales Swanwick but now out in Asia with Princess Yachts Southeast Asia whilst enjoying a cup of tea and a chocolate Hobnob on the Princess stand at SIBS recently.

Chewing the fat he showed me some drone footage of an S72 they are selling. I know I've been quick to criticise low effort promotional material for used boats in the past so it seems only fair to congratulate when done well.

http://www.princessyachtssea.com/PrincessS72-Jasgalore#prettyPhoto

The whole thing was done in an afternoon just outside the marina. You can see Royal Phuket Marina as the boat is heading back, they are just round the corner in Boat Lagoon.

I loved the fact it featured real people, kids using the tender etc. How tempting to just push the button and jump into a lifestyle !

No pressure next time I'm selling then :)

Henry :)

Last edited:

z1ppy

Visit site
Very nice. as you say, does a great job of selling the lifestyle as well as the boat itself...

im pushing the button but apparently i dont have sufficient funds in my account to complete the transaction....

benjenbav

Visit site
One thing I don't like in the aesthetic is the opaque jade green sea. I would rather more of a meddy look. But, when in Rome... or, rather, when not in Rome.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
One thing I don't like in the aesthetic is the opaque jade green sea. I would rather more of a meddy look. But, when in Rome... or, rather, when not in Rome.

Would they call that a first world problem? Just to confirm this is a used boat based in Phuket, it's not a Princess promo for the model.

Wait until you see the Gosport version :)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Well yes selling the lifestyle is important but as an habitual used boat buyer, for me there is no substitute for a detailed video walk round of the boat to give me a real feel for it. So in this case I would dial back on the fluffy drone shots and have a bit more footage of important stuff like engines and equipment. But then again what do I know? Maybe this lifestyle stuff works with Asian businessmen looking for a karaoke shag pad

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Very nice. as you say, does a great job of selling the lifestyle as well as the boat itself...

im pushing the button but apparently i dont have sufficient funds in my account to complete the transaction....

You and me both mate. I just got a funny laughing noise and a promo code offering 2 main courses and a salad bowl for a tenner at Harvester.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Well yes selling the lifestyle is important but as an habitual used boat buyer, for me there is no substitute for a detailed video walk round of the boat to give me a real feel for it. So in this case I would dial back on the fluffy drone shots and have a bit more footage of important stuff like engines and equipment. But then again what do I know? Maybe this lifestyle stuff works with Asian businessmen looking for a karaoke shag pad

Given it's a 2015 boat and still under warranty there shouldn't be much wrong condition wise. The detailed spec will presumably be covered in the main body of the advert.

That said I do agree that possibly wider angle shots could have been used inside to provide a sense of geography and general layout. It's a really difficult thing to get right given the limited space and dimensions in a boat.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
yes, good video. the only element that makes it look less professional is the continuous waving at the camera.

Funnily enough we talked about this and I don't mind it. They are all family on the boat, it's being used just as you or I would use it in the real world. If it was a promo for the model then possibly not, maybe just a couple of waves, but in the context of a second hand boat I thought it worked.

I do agree though that it isn't the norm.

jfm

Visit site
Hmm nice idea Henry and the photography/drone flying was very good but I thought the editing let it down. Absolutely nothing happened for the first 17 seconds and then there were many too-long clips of boring scenes with nothing happening. I didn't watch it to the end - I shut down when they started showing stills. Just imho!

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Hmm nice idea Henry and the photography/drone flying was very good but I thought the editing let it down. Absolutely nothing happened for the first 17 seconds and then there were many too-long clips of boring scenes with nothing happening. I didn't watch it to the end - I shut down when they started showing stills. Just imho!

You know as well as I do that the editing is probably the hardest part. I really struggle to cut stuff out. I'm getting better but when I see it done properly (I'm not suggesting this is a benchmark for editing), it makes me realise how far I've got to go. I've got the gear (Final Cut Pro) sadly not the skill yet. Plenty of time to practice though and it gives me something to do when I"m out and about.

I just thought it was nice to see a bit of effort put in on a used boat. A far cry from the usual photos with the covers still on.

Do you practice flying your drone or just use it when you want to make a video of the boat ?

longjohnsilver

Visit site

I was about to turn it off, 2 mins of drone footage got rather boring, then up popped the caprion prefacing the interior/exterior shots. I did turn it off 30secs later, it was still boring.

Portofino

Visit site
Do you practice flying your drone or just use it when you want to make a video of the boat ?

Henry :)[/QUOTE]
I can vouch he practices and is getting v good at it too , from what we saw a few week ends back in Cap Ferret .
Landed it on his hand stood on bathing platform

Wavey

Visit site
I also didn't watch the video through to the end, and found the constant waving annoying. Having said that, as Thailand was for many years virtually our second home, you have to understand the mind set of the people out there is very different to ours, and personally I think it's well pitched for that market.