I think I have found a UFO!

Moose

Visit site
Everytime, we go out over Chichester Bar, about 40M north of the Bar beacon our Echosounder goes berserk and reads stupid depths like 500M this carries on until we are just south of West Pole. As soon as we are just past West Pole everything works normally.
This happens EVERTIME, going out and coming in at the same place.
Any ideas why this happens?

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Moose

BrendanS

Visit site
Weird. Mine works fine there, certainly did a couple of weekends ago when I was there, and it was low water, so keeping an eye on it.

Could be that the swells and waves in the shallow water there, are kicking up silt. It's possible that silt in the water will cause dispersal and scattering, so that the 'beam' that reflects back to the sender/receiver is being disrupted.

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Underwater electric cable? My old Decca used to give me 55 knots somewhere off Southend where the cable passes across the estuary.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

hlb

RIP
Visit site
When I used to cross the Irish sea. About half way across the depth sounder used to read one metre. It should have read about 55 metres. A bit nasty first few times out of sight of land!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

NorthernWave

Visit site
I might be a cable leading to the Chimet weather thingy interfere with your bits maybe, mine is fine.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>Logged Sea Miles wanted for masters. Send PM if your on south coast and want skipper or crew.

RayB

Visit site
They dredged the bar last year, obviously went a bit mad, still 500m should last a while before it needs doing again!

<hr width=100% size=1>"Hopefully that won't be too expensive to fix?"

G

Are you always going out on an ebb tide? If so, it sounds like you have found the plughole. Note the location on GPS, and recheck it on a flood - I bet it won't be there.

<hr width=100% size=1>