I feel like a pussy after watching this!

Seven Spades

Visit site

Even his mother thinks he is nuts!

In all seriousness this is a thrilling video but I am not convinced he wasn’t reckless. On deck in the dark no harness no life jacket. I am not convinced that a life jacket would have served any useful purpose but being clipped on would have been sensible.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Been following Eric for some time and he does make some great films.

The weather and waters of our northern shores are a little more lively than the south of England.

I don't consider him reckless, single handed at that time of year your survival time is counted in seconds not minutes.

I've only ever been seasick in the Pentland Firth, but I was quite small at the time.

Last edited:

CLB

Visit site
Anyone know what make and model of boat that is? Looks pretty impressive to this MOBOer :D

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Thanks, quite a modest boat then. Are they generally considered to be good rough-weather/passage-making boats?

Rather famously, the only boat to finish out of 58 boats that started in Class 5 in the 1979 Fastnet - the one with the storm - was a Contessa 32 named Assent owned by Willy Ker. Another one went round the Horn to windward, etc. So - yes. But this one is a 35 which is actually quite a bit bigger.

Last edited:

CLB

Visit site
Thanks all. I have a feeling I will switch sides one day, so I need to start learning about boats with sticks.

Bathdave

Visit site
I was slightly puzzled by his rig set up through the night ...he mentioned several accidental gybes.,

He's obviously a very experinced sailor (more so than me) but on that course off the wind and those wind strengths and sea states I would have been sailing under Genoa alone...

Am I misssing something ?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Rather famously, the only boat to finish out of 58 boats that started in Class 5 in the 1979 Fastnet - the one with the storm - was a Contessa 32 named Assent owned by Willy Ker. Another one went round the Horn to windward, etc. So - yes. But this one is a 35 which is actually quite a bit bigger.

Saw her a couple of times in Lawrence Cove over the years.

michael_w

Visit site
Contessa 35 aka Ganbare.

Ganbare+1.jpg

Early Doug Peterson One tonner. When races were won and lost upwind.

Vega1447

Visit site
I was slightly puzzled by his rig set up through the night ...he mentioned several accidental gybes.,

He's obviously a very experinced sailor (more so than me) but on that course off the wind and those wind strengths and sea states I would have been sailing under Genoa alone...

Am I misssing something ?

I would be very interested to hear comments on this.

Did the sea state make it difficult to round up and drop the main?

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I would be very interested to hear comments on this.

Did the sea state make it difficult to round up and drop the main?

Depending on the boat design; some boats are better balanced and sail better in rough weather with a small genoa only and others just with a deep reefed main; many boats would develop a lot of weather helm with just a main up.