Hunter Formula One experiences please!

Redshank Evo26

Visit site
Hi all

Looking at possible replacements for my Evolution 26, when I sell her, the Hunter F1 has come up as high on my list. I would welcome comments from those who have sailed one, crewed on one etc.

We sail from Teignmouth in Devon, generally fairly flat seas (although it has its moments!). I notice that the two main fleets are both inland, this makes me wonder how they behave down wind in waves? There is a video on youtube of one burying its bow and falling over!

On the plus side one did the RTI race in 2013 when we also did it and was 2 mins faster than us in 8 hours of sailing, so pretty quick for a 22 footer.

Your thoughts please.

Stuart.

Concerto

Visit site
Stuart

I used to own one. Purchased new and an absolute scream to sail. Easy to get on the plane - even did it once with a double reefed main and storm jib! For their size they were very quick. They do sail best in flatter water. Light airs it was a joy to sail and left everything standing, irrespective of size.

The main competition I had was J24's, off wind I could out sail a J24, but was slower upwind. Unfortunately my rating was knobbled (should have raced on Portsmouth Yardstick of 106, but was forced to race on 103, last I saw they raced off 110) and it ended up with an appeal to the RYA, which I won but the races were never recalculated. It rather spoiled my ownership for the first couple of seasons to race knowing I did not have a chance of winning. So I eventually sold her and gave up racing.

I sailed on the River Medway and into the Thames Estuary. Being a light boat, large waves could easily stop it due to its light weight (from memory about ¾ ton). The hull was a kevlar lay up and the keel was a bolt down lifting keel for easy transport. The maximum hull depth was only 10", and the run aft was quite wide flat. On the plane the panels aft of the keel could hum from vibration. I have no idea how fast we reached but once used a trailing log with a 10 knot maximum reading, that we exceeded constantly. Used to race with just a compass, depth sounder and Windex, plus tell tales,

By modern standards she is no longer extreme, but comes with the usual proviso that in the wrong hands things can go wrong quickly. The worst accident we had was when a Flying Fifteen crew did not do as he was told. During a spinnaker gype the boat started to broach and he was told to let the sheet fly, he let out 18" and tipped the boat in. I can claim to be a rare sailor to say I have stood on my keel whilst racing. The other crew were dumped in the water and popped out again back into the cockpit by my quick action, they then had to haul me out and sort out the mess. We did not retire then, but continued racing.

A very pretty boat that still looks good today. Stephen Jones did a good job with the design and Hunter Boats made them strong enough as I never broke any part. Even got side swiped whilst on a mooring by a coaster without any damage. The ability to road the boat to other places is appealing, but I only used it to store it at home over the winter. Any large car would be able to tow it.

If you want some good fun and you have quick reactions, then you should be fine.

RalphyM

Visit site
I own one (could be the one you are refering to Umzingeli) that is kept on the Hamble. Yes, they are quick in flat water but being light struggle a bit in waves. Really good fun downwind but if you get it wrong when windy it gets interesting. See pic!Broach cropped.jpg better the right way up Kite 1 cropped small.jpg.

We cruise ours mostly around the Solent with 2 small (3 and 5) children and it's perfect for us. Feel free to drop me a message for more info.

btw Class Association really helpfull but sadly only major fleet is at Rutland these days.

Redshank Evo26

Visit site
Thank you both!

Your input pretty much confirms my thoughts. At least they dont sink if knocked down, unlike some!!

Ralph, yes it was your boat I refer to, what a cracking sail that was, F5-6 all the way and sunny! You must have been seriously shifting because I know we were! 11 kts on the GPS as we went through the narrows with a good dose of tide helping us on our way. We were second out of our start around the needles and right up there until Bembridge. Unfortunately that's when it started to go wrong! We got out into the tide badly a couple of times and missed out on a back eddy around the corner back into the solent, never mind 12th in class and 181st oa wasn't bad for a first attempt, having never sailed in the solent before.

Anyway, back to HF1's, is there anything in particular to look out for on them, anywhere they start to crack, masts that are deformed ect?

Stuart

RalphyM

Visit site
yep, great sail down the back of the Island. Mr Beken did a good job for us. We were surfing at 11-12knots (through the water) at times.

130601-0741321PJM(2)s Small.jpg

Think the major thing to look out for are the chainplates going through the deck are vulnerable to leaking and then the ply bulkhead starts to rot. Think they all have peeling paint inside. Other than that, there isn't much to go wrong. Would definitely check the condition of the trailer though, mine needed costly repairs. A couple of nice ones for sale at the moment.

If you do get one, give me a shout as I know of at least one Rutland boat that is keen to venture further afield as a small group.

RalphyM

Visit site
Concerto, meant to ask. When were you on the Medway? It's where I learnt to sail, I used to crew on Maximum (x99) in early nineties from Upnor.

Redshank Evo26

Visit site
yep, great sail down the back of the Island. Mr Beken did a good job for us. We were surfing at 11-12knots (through the water) at times.

Think the major thing to look out for are the chainplates going through the deck are vulnerable to leaking and then the ply bulkhead starts to rot. Think they all have peeling paint inside. Other than that, there isn't much to go wrong. Would definitely check the condition of the trailer though, mine needed costly repairs. A couple of nice ones for sale at the moment.

If you do get one, give me a shout as I know of at least one Rutland boat that is keen to venture further afield as a small group.

Thanks Ralph, I think I probably will get an F1, its just the small matter of selling the Evolution first. I was very keen on 8018 Tearaway, but she is now under offer and all but sold apparently. The two in Scotland are atractive in different ways, the one fitted with roller reefing would have to be very cheep to be able to put her back into class, with the right sails etc. Its just that hey are in Scotland, and Im in Devon, oh yes, I haven't sold Redshank yet either.... bummer!

Redshank Evo26

Visit site
Oh ment to say. A good end of summer holiday and race trip would be Torbay week, August bank holiday weekend, then on the Dartmouth regatta, via the passage race.

Redshank Evo26

Visit site
A possibly slightly strange question!

Can anyone tell me approximately how much clearance there is under the stern of the boat when its on cradle and trailer please? Im trying to work out if it will reverse over a raised border on the edge of our drive!!

Concerto

Visit site
Concerto, meant to ask. When were you on the Medway? It's where I learnt to sail, I used to crew on Maximum (x99) in early nineties from Upnor.

I bought my Formula 1 in 1982 after seeing it introduced at the London Boat Show. It was called Jolly Roger, sail number K8013Y, and the spinnaker had a skull and cross bones - but with a smile. The treatment I received by a small clique in Medway Yacht Club, who knobbled my rating against the racing rules they had drawn up, ruined my racing drive. They were trying to run the racing so only they would win. I will not mention names in public forum as I am not vindictive, as I have proof through the protest that went to appeal at the RYA that I won. Jolly Roger was traded in against a Feeling 286 in 1987. This was sold in 1992 as business and family pressure meant I did not have time to sail. Jolly Roger was renamed by the new owners who were based in Woodbridge, but they did not realise the spinnaker had an emblem. That was how I knew it was my old boat when I saw her in about 1990.

View attachment 45509
This was Jolly Roger on her first race. Sorry the quality is not brilliant but it is a photograph of a photograph.

So in answer to your question, I stopped sailing by the time you were racing so I doubt if we ever met.

As an aside, did you know there was a Formula 1 in Hong Kong. It was owned by an airline captain and he used his position to airfreight it out there! Weighing about a ton and booking it as a space filler on a freighter, would not have cost him too much with his staff discout - probably less than £1000 on an £7000 boat. Those were truly mad days. This story was told to me by the Hunter staff.

Lakesailor

Visit site
At least they dont sink if knocked down, unlike some!!
Don't count on it. One sank after a race on Windermere as a result of a knockdown. http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?307206-Sinking-on-Windermere

The owner was all for leaving it down there as the cost of recovery would have been as much as the boat's value.
The council, who own the lake bed, wanted it removed.

Strangely it was recovered by some divers in black, in black ribs who arrived in a truck and left as mysteriously as they arrived.

RalphyM

Visit site
I hadn't heard about the sinking on windermere. From experience (see earlier), they will put the mast in the water in a big broach but she showed no sign of going turtle (keel was out of the water for sure though). She just laid flat until we blew the kite halyard (it was really windy). As soon as that was done, she popped up we could rehoist, sheet on and go.

Interestingly (depending on your view), mine also sank last year. However, this was more to do with being on her mooring with the keel up and 70knots directly up the river than anything sailing wise. She wasn't the only boat to sink in the same storm, there was also a 30ft something that flooded and sank which was much harder to retrieve. The guys from the marina opposite tried to get hold of me as they could see what was happening, although even if I could have got down I doubt I'd have been able to get out to her. Even the HarbourMaster's boats weren't able to get out.

For interest, she heeled over and flooded through the keel box (which is open when the keel is up). With hindsight, she now lives on the mooring with the keel down. I'd rather put up with regularly scrubbing the keel rather than go through that palaver again. She was raised with divers and 3 airbags, then towed in and put on trailer where we slowly pumped out and hauled up slipway. Took a long time to get all the mud out but, apart from a few battlescars on the gelcoat, she is back as she was. Can't post piccies today but can share some if interested.

The brochure says they can dry out but I would question that. The top of keel is not well supported when raised (just the winch line) so could move about all over the place.

Concerto, know what you mean about MYC. Isn't the first time I have heard of stories like that, even in my time! Nice photos by the way, is that kingsnorth reach or down by stangate?

mrming

instagram.com
Concerto, know what you mean about MYC. Isn't the first time I have heard of stories like that, even in my time! Nice photos by the way, is that kingsnorth reach or down by stangate?

I race our little boat at MYC and can confirm that this kind of thing is not a problem today. Handicaps are RYA's NHC and IRC and the racing is friendly and fair. Incidentally the Formula One was on my list but I ended up going for something with a small amount of comfort in the cabin so we can weekend on the boat as well as race.

RalphyM

Visit site
To be fair, this was 20-odd years ago. A lot has changed for all the medway clubs since then.

Incidentally the Formula One was on my list but I ended up going for something with a small amount of comfort in the cabin so we can weekend on the boat as well as race.

We have 4 berths and a porta potty. What else do you need! :D

Concerto

Visit site
Virtually all those people have now left the club. I know this because my brother is still a member.

The photo was taken by my father from his Dehler 37 Deceptive (cruiser, not racer) as we raced back up river close to Kingsnorth. It was an exciting first sail as everything was untested. Certainly realised the potential that would be possible with practice. What do you think of the spinnaker emblem?

I have to say that now I am 60, I doubt if I would want to race a Formula 1 again. Been racing singlehanded in the HNYC pursuit race recently with my Fulmar. I was the only one to set a spinnaker and won by about 1½ miles in drifting conditions. So may be I have not lost my touch.

mrming

instagram.com
We have 4 berths and a porta potty. What else do you need! :D

Exhibit A:
qvy4Wis-9d.jpg

Exhibit B:
fcw1au140O.jpg

Won't get up on the plane like the Formula One though - at least not until it's brown trousers time weather wise.

Redshank Evo26

Visit site
Thank you all for your input, all very interesting.

Luckily I have a deep water mooring, so the keel could stay down. I used to keep my Evolution 26 on a fore and aft drying mooring, which was fine, but she has 800lb of lead in the bottom of the hull in addition to the keel, so remains quite stable even with the keel fully raised.

It would appear that with a slight widening of our gateway it would be possible to get an F1 on the drive and still be able to park two cars on there. So that helps the decision somewhat as the new boat has to be less expensive to keep and winter storage costs more than the mooring here..

All the best

Stuart

ballyabroad

Boat River Deben, Suffolk. Home Nottinghamshire
Visit site
I still race a Formula at Rutland, and have raced against Tearaway many times (they usually win!). Great Race boat, we race 3 up as we're all north of 15 stone, so we like it Windy. They really are like a big dinghy and very tweaky, a real blow with the Spinny up can have them on their side but they tend to be keen to come back upright.

We drysail, using a rollercoaster trailer from arrival at the club to leaving the pontoon sailing we've got it down to less that 20 mins. Less for recovering. Chainplates do need a look at, but easy to beef up. Condition of sails is quite key to being competitive. Wobbly with the keel up.

Have also raced in the Fowey regatta on a Formula, a bit bouncy and you wouldn't want to go below decks but entertaining surfing the waves.