HR42 E Emergency rudder stock removal

G

We have recently purchased a HR42E, hull number 85.We wish to make the rear cabin more comfortable to sleep in by removing the emergency rudder stock. We are proposing to cut it off at berth level and use a 5mm walled stainless steel sleeve with bolts/pins should it ever be required (after hydrovane rudder and electronic autopilot). Does anybody have any ideas or comments. The place where the stock passes through the deck does not appear to be load bearing as you can see light all around it!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Wouldn't it be a good idea to talk to HR themselves, they may well have a fix in mind.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
Wots an HR42 E? What year is it?

I have to say I am surprised that it intrudes on your sleeping area. Mine (on an HR 42F) is well tucked away.

PS it is a bugger to steer with my emergency tiller in anger - so if you ARE going to modify it you might consider whether there are any better ideas.

<hr width=100% size=1>A pontification from the Panjandrum of orotund bloviation AD2003

G

It is a 1985 Hallberg Rassrey 42 Enderlain design. What do you mean better ideas ? better than what? It does really have to be moved. It makes for a very small double berth as it is. you would get a large double berth without it. I even tried sleeping with one leg either side!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Hr recommend you do not remove the "emergency rudder" - I think it was bit of a language problem with them thinking i was removing it for good. Trans world yachts (the importers) said it had been done but could not recall exactly how!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
I don't have a HR but Claymore does have an aft cabin and I had been thinking for a while about emergency tillers. If I sailed single handed and had a problem I wouldn't be able to see where I was going if I used the emergency tiller.
Last winter I imoproved this by getting a hatch fitted above the stock and with a series of interlocking tubes, I can now steer from on deck. Perhaps this is what he meant by improvements?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ccscott49

Visit site
Get a decent engineer to look over the thing, maybe with a tube over the cut of end and a pin to secure it, with a deck bearing of some sort, with the end of the tube sticking up with a bar through it to act as a tiller. The hole in the deck, could have a wooden plug, with bar underneath with a wing nut to hold it closed against some rubber, when not in use. I dont think this is such a big job in fact.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
Have you ever had to use an emergency tiller in anger? I have - sailing out of an estuary in a near gale and not too far from a lee shore and the steering chain went. It was a brand new boat and we were the first to use it. The locking pin on the chain had not been properly secured.

You must remember that if you need to use it you may not have much time to react.

John

PS when the boat came back, the chain had been fixed in such a way that the boat turned in the opposite direction from the wheel. Imagine reversing out of a tight marina berth like that with a strong cross wind !

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Don\'t touch it!

Although the top bearing isn't load-bearing as such, I'm sure it plays an important role in stabilising the rudder stock from wobbling about. If you cut it off below bunk level, you'd be left with a very short rudder stock and there could be a possibility of stresses causing the stock to wobble about, maybe enough to cause failure of the bolted connection in the rudder itself. Check out the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.classic-hrs.com/Hallberg/miscphotos/HR_rudder_sketch.gif>rudder construction</A> and you'll see that the stock isn't full length (thanks to the excellent Classic Hallberg Rassy site for the link).

My 352 has the same arrangement, and I haven't found any problems with using the aft double.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: Don\'t touch it!

You think the rudder stock isnt load bearing but plays an important part in stopping it "wobbling about". We have watched the gap where the stock passes out through the deck whilst sailing and it doesnt even touch. What makes you so sure the stock is in two pieces? this is a 20 year old boat (they dont make them like they used to...etc). We took the rudder off recently - build like a tank. Also out two biats are different - you shoukd try sleeping with your legs each side of a rudder stock.

thanks anyway

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
My point has been raised below. To use my emergency tiller (as I have had to on an HR42) you look forward at your reflection in the dressing mirror in the after cabin. If I want to see where I am going, I have to steer with my feet and with my head through the hatch. A bit of a bugger when the sails need trimming.

Therefore - and all I meant was - if you are going to change it, consider whether your modification will solve all of the problems - not just the accomodation arranagements.

Apologies, if I offended.

<hr width=100% size=1>A pontification from the Panjandrum of orotund bloviation AD2003

G

No offence taken at all - sorry. So the newer HR42 do not have the stock going through the deck? maybe they need a removal one - now theres a thought!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Re: Don\'t touch it!

I didn't say the stock is in 2 pieces - I said that there's a bolted connection. The bottom of the stock is connected to a metal structure in the top of the rudder. Then at the bottom of the rudder there's a completely separate bearing.

Curious that you ask for comments and then rubbish the replies. Best of luck with your modifications.

<hr width=100% size=1>