How wet do you get?

Jerbro

Visit site
...under canvas when heading into an easterly f4/5? Under my old hard-top, heading across lyme bay, the kids only cried for the first 2 hours and went to sleep for the remaining 4. Just wondered what that would be like under a canvas canopy. I suppose they would have got wet and woken up? This is a key decision point in our household (flybridge vs open) given we can't afford a predator.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jerbro
====
Click here for <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.btinternet.com/~jerbro> My ex-boat pics</A>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>I don't get wet at all because at sea I drive from the inside, only use the flybridge for parking and on the Thames.
My previous boat had a canvas and it was always reasonably dry and comfortable under there.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Well with the amount of sea I've had over the fly bridge. I would not have thought there would have been much canopy left and more water in the boat than outside!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

ballena

Visit site
We used to have a Searay 200CC(with V8) and travelled back from Cowes to Chichester if F5/6, on entering Chi Harbour we were taking water over the canopy with only drips coming through. we had the sport canvas by Sunbrella.

This was the most exciting ride of my life, SWMBO didn't think so!

Just remember, you can always dry out later, and bilge pumps are for life not just for leaky bottoms!

<hr width=100% size=1>V8's rule!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

No canvas canopy is completely leakproof even if it's in A1 condition. If you want a completely dry environment, you're going to have to get a flybridge boat and then drive from below. However, the wipers will be useless and the windows will mist up so you'll be driving from the top anyway. At least you wont be able to hear the kids bawling

<hr width=100% size=1>

ArthurWood

Visit site
We've had similar experiences w/our 37ft Sea Ray. The front part of the canvas (Sunbrella), over the helm, has a vinyl coating inside and even after 9 yr in sub-trop sun it doesn't leak. The rest of the canvas, which is not coated has begun to leak even though I've applied several coatings of water repellent. Time to replace it, methinks

<hr width=100% size=1>

miket

Visit site
I agree with the others.
Any hood will drip at least, given sufficient sea coming over.
Best bet is lower inside steering of a flybridge boat. (Misting up and heat excepted)

Having said that, how often do you guys go out in those conditions?
If I can avoid it I do, and I can't think of many reasons why a 25 kt boat should get "caught out". If it's that rough stay in harbour and relax. You'll only upset her indoors and we know even Byron doesn't like to do that.

Even in the rougher conditions that I go out in we only get the odd drip through a zip, which has hopefully now been sorted.
We went with friends to Beaulieu last year who own a Corniche and as we arrived the heavens opened. Even had they made a dash for the lower helm they would have got very wet. As it was they stayed upstairs and were totally drowned by the time they had moored. We looked outside, donned our oilies and parked. My hands got a bit wet but that was beacause I dropped the rope in the water!!

Incidentally, I checked that Broom 41. Definitely 2 x 380hp VP's. If I wasn't happy with my 37 I would be over there in a shot.
I think the website is www.devaartyachting.com

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jerbro

Visit site
Of course we never plan to go out in these conditions, but twice now we've found ourselves the wrong side of Lyme Bay the day before we're due back at work. First time was two weeks into the summer hols!

<hr width=100% size=1>Jerbro
====
Click here for <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.btinternet.com/~jerbro> My ex-boat pics</A>

kgi

Visit site
Ummm, i may be reading this wrong, but if its spray related has anyone looked at smartrail.com?......just a thought....keith

<hr width=100% size=1>