"How was your trip dear..."

supernova

Visit site
Re: \"How was your trip dear...\"

oooh nasty
how big would the boat your going to be on to watch that in comfort have to be? somewhat like a country!

GaryE

Visit site

It's an FPSO, (Floating Production Storage & Offloading) about 800ft long. The swells in the North Sea are such that it a ship that size does not move all that much, comparativley speaking! If you want more info just google FPSO Gryphon.

tugboat

Visit site

I never used to mind stooging up and down in bad weather, beat working for a living! Why were bunks usually thwartships- I could never sleep in my bunk in bad weather, ma wullie used to get sore from all that sliding up and down the bunk! I used to camp out on the daybed (fore & aft) and wedge myself in with chairs jammed behind the table. Frequently used to wake up and find the armchair had flipped upside down cos I forgot to tie it down. Ah happy days. I only ever had worries in bad weather if there was deck cargo - very easy to lose a container or two when turning round, the stooge legs used to quite long. Always made sure we were many miles upwind of the rig and just starting the downwind leg when I was going offwatch so as to get to sleep before the next run on the rollercoaster. I kinda wish I was still there but then I remember it blowing a hoolie and the rig calling up and saying " Come over here Skip, and we'll get that food container off you". Plonker! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TimStewart

Visit site

I was on an FPSO in the North Sea back in the late 90s in a storm like that (Uisge Gorm). We took a battering. Oil production had to be shut down, the wave were at times sweeping the decks from both sides at once in the comfused seas at the height of the storm. Waves were getting up onto the container lay down area - washing them about like skittles in a pen. A heavy duty stairway was severely damaged up fwd. A lot of the kennedy grating popped and buckled on the central walkway as it flexed, and we lost 4 liferafts which were swepted away by waves - all inflated but I don,t think they would have been any good to anybody in them, because they didn't have time to settle on the water for the water pockets to fill, they were tossed about like rag dolls.
The funny thing about it was after the storm started to die down we called up our standby vessel and the supply vessel that we had in the field, to see how they got on with the storm. They said the had no problems. They just pointed their bows into the waves and 'dodged'.
I think our problem was we were moored to the sea bed and couldn't 'dodge'. We were at the mercy of the wind and waves as we rolled, heaved and yawed.
Good fun though.

Dyflin

Visit site

I worked the Uisce Gorm once on a supply boat (Far Server), bloody thing kept changing heading! Glad to see that the smaller floating objects in the North Sea aren't the only ones effected by the bad weather /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TimStewart

Visit site

I might have been offloading you. I was one of the crane ops onboard the UG. That could sometimes be a bit of a hair raising experience trying to control the crane hook between two rolling vessels. Not so bad with container, the pipe baskets were the worst. I take my hat off to the lads who worked the supply boat decks. I use to cringe at some of the close calls they had.

peter321

Visit site

I was on a vlcc off cape of good hope in 1978. 250,000 ton texaco sweden. The two seas coming together and causing waves to climb on top of each other. We were loaded so free board about 30'. the swimming pool on the third level of the acomodation block was filling and emptying with each roll. One lifeboat was destroyed with one wave (same level as pool) engine on deck, ends still attached to falls. lost all our life rafts, accommodation ladders, some pipe workand years off the captains life I bet (was on bridge for 3 days solid). We only had one boiler on line at the time due to breakdown, and were being pushed back. we were taking water into engineroom, and used the main circulating pump on the bilges. manage to turn around by running diesel alternator, thus freeing extra steam for main turbine.
I do not sail on the local pleasure boat out of our harbour.

Other threads that may be of interest