How to quieten water pump

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I assume it is mounted on the rubber dampers? These should not be tightened too much, allowing the pump to move flexibly on them. However, my old Shurflo pump became very noisy, perhaps 20 years old. I replaced it with a new Jabsco, making a huge difference to the noise. I assume that some wear in the bearings was the cause.

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
I used to be worried about this too - until someone posted that he saw it as a positive!

His argument was that if your freshwater system ever sprung a leak, or someone left a tap on, you would know and act long before your tanks were emptied.

It is also a great tell-tale when the young or the the vain are spending too much time in the shower :)

I now regard a noisy water pump as an essential feature!

Max K

N/A
Visit site
I used to be worried about this too - until someone posted that he saw it as a positive!

His argument was that if your freshwater system ever sprung a leak, or someone left a tap on, you would know and act long before your tanks were emptied.

It is also a great tell-tale when the young or the the vain are spending too much time in the shower :)

I now regard a noisy water pump as an essential feature!

Also lets you know if a tank is running dry. However, when not pumping water, the noise output is very much reduced.

Max.

prv

Visit site
Do check that it's mounted properly before doing anything else. Mine had part of the bracket assembled upside down so that the body of the pump as it vibrated would hammer against the plywood partition it was mounted on. That was noisy! Similarly the fridge compressor had been bolted down so tight that the rubber mounts were crushed and it was effectively rigidly mounted. It needs to be mounted without touching anything except rubber, and free to vibrate without making contact.

Pete