how to lay a mooring

andy01842

Visit site
Hi to all this is my first post. I am new to sailing, spent last year on the Norfolk broads. This year I will be sailing the Orwell I hope. Got my day skipper and joined the Shotley sailing club. So to the problem, I need a mooring. It cheap to have a club mooring but I have to lay it my self. Trinity house will supply a sinker, 1.5 tons of cast iron and lay it for me. I need to supply them with the rest, i.e. riser swivel buoy etc. what do I need? My boat is small a 17ft Seahawk lifting keel 2 berth. The water is 10 meters according to the chart. I have been told 2 to 7 times the depth of water, chain or rope? How big a buoy will I need to support the weight of the riser? Any help would be great. Andy

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Given where you are, this is really easy

Get in the car and drive round towards Levington Marina - over the Orwell Bridge, and continue as far as the A12 Woodbridge turn off. Don't take that - go south under the A14 then take the first left, heading East, which is signposted for Levington Marina, I think - anyway, it's the old Felixstowe Road. There's a bit of 1960's dual carriageway and just past that, just before the signposted turnoff to Levington Marina (after Levington village) you will see a couple of large buoys, a red and a green, to port and starboard of an entrance.

This is where you want - it's European Yacht Equipment (EYE) Ltd, and they are not only THE experts on moorings but they will be more than willing to advise you and they have everything you will need in stock at very reasonable prices. I seem to recollect they were founded by a yachtsman who could not find what he needed to lay his mooring - anyway, that's no longer a problem in Suffolk!

<hr width=100% size=1>

andy01842

Visit site
Re: Given where you are, this is really easy

Thanks for you reply Mirelle I have used Levington Marina`s slip several times and did my day skipper course there so have driven passed EYE many times but could not see the wood for the trees! I will call in there soon. Once again thank you vary much.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
You are not alone!

An awful lot of people, probably most of the people who sail in the Haven Ports area, have driven past without realising!

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulrossall

Visit site
Re: Given where you are, this is really easy

Andy
I am looking for a cheap mooring either on the Orwell or Deben. Which club have you joined, where is it and what did it cost to join? Have they got any facilities and where do you keep a dinghy so you can get out to your boat. What do you recon the mooring will cost you? Is the mooring at Shotly Point? Thanks Paul.

<hr width=100% size=1>