How to attach lightning copper braid to shroud

Shaddickp

Visit site
I am slowly putting my boat back together after a lightning strike. The copper braiding connecting the port stainless steel shroud to the metal keel is totally frazzled. Ok easy to replace but where it attaches to the shroud lower bar is hidden, so what's the normal method of attaching copper lightening braid to the shroud bottom bar. Is it just a hefty steel hose clip type thingy?

Neeves

Visit site
I'd use one of those stainless double 'U' things that allow the 2 'U's to bolt together. A shroud clamp or shroud joiner.IMG_0668.JPG

I suspect the professional way is to use a copper sleeve/swage and crimp it tightly - but that needs you to have nothing at the end of the shroud.

Jonathan

Shaddickp

Visit site
Thanks Nerves, but that not really what I'm trying to achieve. The shroud is complete and fine with no damage. At the bottom of it, which by the time it gets below deck is a steel bar (tie bar is it called) has some 1.5 inch width copper braiding attached to it, but it is hidden behind the saloon bench back. The copper braid then appear in the locker under the bench. I was going to cut it off where it appears and attach new braid but attach it above the bench back where it is visible and accessible. I think but can't swear to it, as I can only get my finger tips to the current attachment point ( of braid and tie bar) of braid and bar that it is secured by a hose clip. Just wondering really if this will provide a good electrical contact and also be secure. Thanks again for your advice.

dk

Visit site
Have you considered the fact that you were struck by lightning might've been because your mast was earthed? Just a thought.