How thin can i sand my teak deck?

AleCiotti

Visit site
Hi guys my teak deck is approximately 6-7mm and in some points 8mm, and it's looking very bad, just cleaning it with some products won't change much, so my only option at this point is to recaulk and then sand.

Do you think I will be able to sand it a little bit without it becoming too thin to the point where it can break?

AleCiotti

Visit site
A light sand just to remove 'grey' .... then Decking stain to UV / weather protect ... no need to reduce thickness unless you are removing dips / chips etc.
ok, what about seam depth how shallow is too shallow? currently have 2mm which is very bad, I will be changing the teak deck in September but I will be using the boat this summer and i would like to do a bit of recaulking, is it possible? will it at least last until September?
Thanks

AleCiotti

Visit site
Hi Ray, i appreciate the suggestion, though i don't really like Teak Wonder as it's a very acidic product and it can damage the teak and the caulking if not compatible.
I prefer to use something like eco 100 eco 300 from teak decking systems for regular cleaning

I will probably not be sanding as my teak deck is already thin as well as the seams, so at most I will recaulk using masking tape and sand as little as I can.

Ray Purchase

Visit site
Hi Ray, i appreciate the suggestion, though i don't really like Teak Wonder as it's a very acidic product and it can damage the teak and the caulking if not compatible.
I prefer to use something like eco 100 eco 300 from teak decking systems for regular cleaning

I will probably not be sanding as my teak deck is already thin as well as the seams, so at most I will recaulk using masking tape and sand as little as I can.
OK, good luck with the project👍

MattK1969

Visit site
After having an old teak deck for a few years I have learnt;
1. Never sand it, you are just accelerating the wear process. After sanding it soon looks like you didn't sand it.
2. You can remove the screws and glue in new plugs no problem.
3. Use the two pack teak cleaner, which is basically bleach followed by oxalic acid. It looks great after this, but this does accelerate wear a bit IMHO.
4. Don't scrub as a matter of course, you will wear it out.

Picture shows recent two pack teak cleaner application. Don't sand it!!

Attachments

• 20240627_154341.jpg
    20240627_154341.jpg
    895.9 KB · Views: 9