How practical is an electric boat on the upper Thames?

Nick2

Visit site
Thinking about a small day boat and wondered how sensibe an electric one would be in terms of range, costs and charge ups?

Many thanks

Nick

No Regrets

Visit site
Quite good apparently.....

Especially if you have a friend or two living along the River /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thinking about a small day boat and wondered how sensibe an electric one would be in terms of range, costs and charge ups?

Many thanks

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]
I had an electric slipper. Many of you might remember it because it was kept on the island at Henley before I acquired it.
The longest run I did was 6 hours. When I arrived back I checked the guages and found I had only used 25% of the capacity.
In short therefore they are very practical for the Thames if somewhat slow. One thing you HAVE to ensure is that the motor is kept cool. Otherwise every couple of hours the motor just stops until it is cooled down. I achieved this by the simple expedient of fitting a cheapo fan continually blowing air on the motor.
This site may help:http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/6173/
(there is a java fault on it keep clicking the message and it will eventually clear).
Charging points here:- St. John's 01367 252309
Shifford 01367 870247
Sandford 01865 775889
Benson 01491 835255
Goring 01491 872687
Shiplake 0118 940 3350
Cookham 01628 520752
Old Windsor 01753 861822
Molesey 0208 979 4482

There will be others too in Marinas and other riverside venues.

Gavi

Visit site
Some friends have one and are very happy with her. She's not the sprightliest thing afloat but very calm and enjoyable.

Prices vary but at the upper end we were very taken by the small Antaris

rr_123

Visit site
I quite liked the Interboat that Val Wyatt showed at Earls Court, build quality looked excellent, lovely solid traditional lines, have a look here

Nick2

Visit site
Thanks all for very helpful responses.

Whilst we spent a couple of years on the coast with last boat we did always enjoy our river times on our Birchwood 25. We just don't have the time or frankly the funds to commit to a sea going vessel so it seems an idea to spend a while messing about with another type of boating especially as the Thames is very close to our home.

Hello to me old chums and Boatone!!!! :)

Nick

Solitaire

Visit site
Won't make it to Weymouth and I doubt it will have the sea keeping of a nice little corniche! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But you can still get your oilies wet /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Oh and I'm not sure how good Col is with electrics /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nice to see you posting again /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nick2

Visit site
Don't suppose that there are many plug ins between Hythe and Weymouth.........

Also would no doubt wait for a VERY calm day!!!!!!!!!!

Its quite fun considering boaty options that may be open to us and we will go to NEC this month to get a better flavour.

By the way I still have that weather forecast..........but its a bit smudged and washed out. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
One thing you HAVE to ensure is that the motor is kept cool. Otherwise every couple of hours the motor just stops until it is cooled down.

[/ QUOTE ]
What a perfect excuse for just pitching up wherever you overheat - get the rods out, a few beers for the lads and a few bottles of wine for the ladies and just enjoy!!!!