How often to apply Gelshield?

Resolution

Visit site
Resolution is now nearly 15 years old , mostly in fine fettle. Five years ago we had the hull blasted, sanded and a number of coats of gelshield applied before usual antifoul. It has been suggested that it is time again to have the hull scraped back and sanded, then 4 more coats of gelshield before again the usual antifoul. The hull appears in good order with no signs of bubbling. The boat does live in the water all year round.

How long should gelshield last? Is it good insurance to renew (for another five years)?
Peter

ctva

Visit site
I did my hull 14 years ago with no intention of re-doing. No signs or issues with the hull, gelcote or insurance (very few boats have epoxy coatings anyway as modern gelcotes are good).

Has the 'suggester' got a financial benefit to doing the work?

johnalison

Visit site
I think that many of us would give up sailing of we thought we'd have to scrape down or blast the hull every five years. I'm working on the principle that the epoxy will continue to function as long as it is physically intact. Failing that, modern resins won't go manky.

Resolution

Visit site
I did my hull 14 years ago with no intention of re-doing. No signs or issues with the hull, gelcote or insurance (very few boats have epoxy coatings anyway as modern gelcotes are good).

Has the 'suggester' got a financial benefit to doing the work?

Nail on the head there, yes it is of course my boatyard who are making the suggestion. But in a nice helpful way!:encouragement: