How much do you pay for bottled gas?

mike_bryon

Visit site
The chandlery at our marina charges £17.70 for 13 kg of gas (red bottle). Can we get it for less elsewhere perhaps at caravan sites or petrol stations.

Suggestions welcomed.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mike_bryon on 16/09/2004 15:13 (server time).</FONT></P>

pragmatist

Visit site
Have found them (blue Camping Gaz) cheaper in caravan sites by £2-3 but there has been a huge hike in prices recently. I was told the gas companies are trying to phase out smaller sizes like Camping Gaz) - and of course there is a general hike in gas prices generally.

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK - but serious about not being in the UK !

jeanne

Visit site
I filled a 4.5 Kg Propane bottle for 3.50 euros [?£2.50] at an LPG car filling station in Portugal last Friday. I've no idea if using car refueling stations is a practical idea in UK, but it does at least give some perspective on the charges that you are being asked to pay. A refill for the same bottle cost £8or £9 pounds in a gas dealers in England last year

<hr width=100% size=1>

mike_bryon

Visit site
Great suggestion, thank you, I will try to find out if it is possible to fill these bottles at LPG stations in the UK and post the answer. We had Mid Atlantic Yacht Services (very nice people) fill 13K bottles in the Azores this summer for far lower cost than the UK. But then almost everything is cheaper in Portugal.

Thanks again.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BSSOffice

www.boatsafetyscheme.org
I think, unless you find out differently, that the LPGA (UK gas trade body) advises petrol filling stations against allowing customers to fill lpg bottles from car pumps for safety reasons related to Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations (DSEAR) and the Transportable Pressure Vessels Regulations.

I stand willing to be corrected if you know otherwise.

Regards

<hr width=100% size=1>Rob@BSSOffice
Go boating - Stay safe