How long does it take?

Cartorn

Visit site
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, so hello and it's great to be here.

I am planning a sail from burton on crouch along the south coast, to lands end, and over to cork in Ireland.

Any ideas on how long that will take?

Thanks a million :)

old_salt

Visit site
I think a little more information is required before anyone can give you a sensible answer.
It sounds as if you are new to sailing and have little experience so the first things to conceder are:-

Is your knowledge, experience and any qualifications you may have and how big a crew do you intend to have on the trip.
Type of boat sail / motor and its hull type.
A sail plan and when do you intend to do this trip.

As said on other posts weather can play a big part in how long it would take.
But it would be a major part of your sail plan anyway

Last edited:

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Far more important than boat and crew is WEATHER!

Get some friendly easterlies and sail non stop and you will do it in 5 to 7 days.

Making day sail hops and waiting for good weather at a time of persistent westerly gales 5 to 7 months? N.B. this does not apply if you have a Swan 65 and some seriously hard crew.

BoatShowAvenue

www.boatshowavenue.com
As old_salt said, that is hard to determine with so little information, weather is something to have in mind also, your crew and your type of boat must be considered before giving you any answer. We'll be glad to help you!

Woodlouse

Visit site
Depends on the weather. Some years, just like bashing a square rigger around the horn it might be quicker and easier to go the other way.

Good weather it shouldn't take more than a week, but you won't have much of a chance to see anything on the way.

Cartorn

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies.
It seems that a week to 10 days is the time it will take. I will give it 2 weeks to be sure and to hopefully take into account bad weather days.
The plan is the fun part.
Having learned from my 92 year old grandfather, charts are my friends. Working out the tides, winds, early starts and long days are just so wonderful.

Here are some more specifics.

I will be taking a Halcyon 23, I have about 10 years experience as first mate and occasional captain on my grandfather's boat. Will have a crew of two for the most part and occasionally 3 if friends want to come along.

I would like to sail in January and that is the big part of why I'm posting here. I've done some winter sailing but just a few day trips and one week long sail. I've done a few day trips winter sailing and one week long one so I have some idea of what it's like.

So thank you all for your replies and I look forward to the next ones :)

Last edited:

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
I think it might take a lot more than 2 weeks if you want to do it January! In fact in might take you more than just January. I'd seriously consider leaving it until you have more stable weather. The western approaches isn't the place to be in 23 footer in January.

Romeo

Visit site
I would allow a lot more time, because you will not be wanting to do too much of your sailing in the dark. You could easily be stuck in port for the whole two weeks, if you are unlucky. so a good cabin heater and a pack of cards are both a must.

lpdsn

Visit site
I will be taking a Halcyon 23, I have about 10 years experience as first mate and occasional captain on my grandfather's boat. Will have a crew of two for the most part and occasionally 3 if friends want to come along.

I would like to sail in January and that is the big part of why I'm posting here. I've done some winter sailing but just a few day trips and one week long sail. I've done a few day trips winter sailing and one week long one so I have some idea of what it's like.

I've done one overnight sail at Christmas. It was cold. So cold my eyeballs hurt. But I was delivering a mate's racing yacht so we made good progress and I had a good ETA to look forward to.

For a start, you're not going to make much progress against wind and tide in a Halcyon 23, so there is no point trying to do it in one leg.

Secondly you will get very cold and tired after a day or two at sea in January unless you are really well prepared. Your decision making will fall apart and if you don't have a port of refuge to head in to, things could get pretty awkward.

Thirdly, have you considered the sort of weather you'll encounter between Land's End and Cork. Look at the wave height forecast here http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Do short day sails, with the tide and aim to get in somewhere where you can get sleep, warmth and food before the sun sets. After a couple of short legs you'll have a better idea about an overnighter and after a couple of overnight trips, you can think again about longer legs.

sarabande

Visit site
It's 500 miles path to Cork; double that for adverse tides and tacking. In winter. In 10 days? Not feasible. Not even thinkable in a 23ftr. Even having been "first mate and occasional captain".

And "Burton on Crouch ?

OP needs to take a reality pill. Or something to stop being a troll.