How long did you take to go live aboard

kunyang

Visit site
We are planning. I know, you shouldn't plan too long, just go and do it. But the money isn't there for a few more years. I'll still be youmg enough (what ever that is).

How long did you take to 'sell up and sail', what plans did you make and did you keep to them?

Dave

oldsaltoz

Visit site
I suspect many 'Live a boards' simply spent more and more time on board rather than setting a date.

For some living on a boat full time was not even planned, it just came about.

Then you have the group of people who just see living on their boat as the realisation of a long term goal.

I have been sailing all my life, and could sell up a go in the morning, however this has little appeal because I am loving the fact that I can drop the lines at any time and sail off to enjoy any number of destinations.

However, I also enjoy the company of good friends and family who never complain when sail off with no set time to return.

I expect one day I will decide to sail off and never return, but that is not the plan at the moment.

It must be more than 20 years since I set the boat up for living on board, Problem is, I have changed boats several times, setting the new boat much the same as the last.

I consider myself a live a board, who spends time with family and friends on shore.

Fair winds to all.

dratsea

Visit site
Hey B (aka oldsaltoz),

Thanks for advice on coal ships, helped the sailing plans no end! Cut the negativity! I retired 31/1/11 and heading your way. Panama 2012, NZ 2012/13 and hope to be in Queensland by Sept 2013. If I find you are still there you are buying drinks for up to 6 months! If I bump into you on the way then the beers are on me.

John

chinita

Visit site
We decided in June 2001, sold the house by September, bought the boat and were living aboard on 2 November.

Had about a months worth of sleepless nights worrying if it was the right decision.

It was, and still is.

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Hey B (aka oldsaltoz),

Thanks for advice on coal ships, helped the sailing plans no end! Cut the negativity! I retired 31/1/11 and heading your way. Panama 2012, NZ 2012/13 and hope to be in Queensland by Sept 2013. If I find you are still there you are buying drinks for up to 6 months! If I bump into you on the way then the beers are on me.

John

Looking forward to meeting you John, but I can't for the life of me remember posting about coal carriers? Though I did work in coal ports for 17 years before I semi retired.

Fair winds.:)

Sy-Revolution

Visit site
4 years from conception to reality. That included renvovating a house, buying a boat, learning to sail, doing the boat up, learning to sail some more, renvovating a house some more, selling up the house, selling up a business and buggering off.

Don't dream for too long...........

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
Decided to do it April 2006
Did it July 2007

Hardest bit? Getting rid of a lifetimes clutter and mementos.

Do we miss them? Emphatically no!

Advice? Don't go unless you have a realistic budget, don't bank on earning money unless you have some very practical in-demand skills (eg diesel engineer).

Sail for a couple of years before deciding on what exotic equipment to buy - you will save yourself a fortune because you will buy what you need not what you think you need.

Best advice we received? From Stingo of this parish "The hardest bit is the road out of town". By which he meant saying goodbye to friends and family many of whom will try to convince you that you are crazy.

We are back on dry land at the moment - dragged here by some family responsibilities - but both SWMBO and I cannot wait to resume life afloat which exceeded all our expectations.

ukmctc

out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
Visit site
The only skill we found was the willingness todo anytype of work as required.

Jobs are easy to find, don't be fussy thats how most people fail. I have no skills except general life knowledge and the willingness to work for what we need.

We have worked at, Holiday reps, bar staff, cleaning staff, chambermaids, hotel management, pub assistant managers, bus drivers, lorry driver, secretary, admin, office work, labourers, council, tour guide and much more, all of these jobs we've done here in the UK and Europe, over the past 15 years.

Age is of no concern, I'm 54, the wife is 34.

We work on average 4-6 months, usually winter sometimes longer dependant on wage and what we intend doing that summer or the next.

TNT magazine is good for work especially short term.

Bite the bullet and do it, you'll either take to it or not.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/boatingdreams/

Oh, yes the best advise we can give is sail around the UK first, sort out all your problems, which you will have, locally and with no language problems. Once its all sorted, and your happy with your lot, sail to the MED with everyone else.

Last edited:

Wife of Lofticus

Visit site
We dreamed for many years, retired 'young' last year, bought boat last June and have been amazed at how much there is to sort out after a lifetime on shore.
Some sleepless nights, much excitement, have set a 'D' day of 3rd May so we have something to aim for.
We are realistic to know that it may well be 'D' day +....... but makes it much more real to have a target.
Have taken advice gratefully from this forum, mixed though it always is:D ,
a) You can plan forever so just GO
b) Try to do as much as possible on boat because it is more difficult/expensive/language barriers when you go
Combining the two we have become more philosophical and now can't wait to become 'liveaboards' , after all part of the fun/challenge is managing whatever gets thrown at you as you go along, pretty much like life anywhere.

Looking forward to spotting forumites as we go .............
6 weeks and 6 days to go !!!!!!

Good Luck to you with your own plans:):)

suebabsthenoo

Visit site
How long?????????????????

Everyone's tales are vastly different mainly depending on whether you want to go and never have to werk again or are happy knowing that you will need or want to werk ...again.
I calculated on Aug B/H Mon 2000 that it would take us till 31 May 2009,(we left Kent on the tide on Mon 01/06/09 so I could keep the werks car till the last minute and gain 3 days on me pension) to be ready which included buying and paying for 1 house and a boat...we bought and paid for 3 houses and a boat in that time.Have more income now than I did werking in an orofice 13 days out of 14.BUT I reckon in the scheme of things we are 20 years too late probably down to the fact of my unfitness more than owt else.....the soonest that is feasible for your circs the better moi thinks.

ccscott49

Visit site
A year after my divorce, I was at a crossroads, buy an apartment in Holland or buy a boat again? Well I choose the boat, that was 15 years ago. Yes, been ups and downs, but have worked through them, still working, but oilfield allows that kind of lifestyle, working on and off. Now would not go back, will die aboard! This is my last boat, and yes it does take a lot of work being wood, but looks fabulous, once its all up and done, in the meddy, varnishing is not a chore, its a pleasant days pottering at anchor or wherever, what else are you going to do? I like it and will continue to do it.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
We decided to live aboard and sail to the Med in about November 08, as I approached the end of my time in the army. We bought the boat in Feb, brought her round to the Menai in April for fitting out and sailed away one week after my last day at work on 19 Jul. In the interim, we disposed of an enormous heap of stuff from the house, put a few bit into store, rented the house out and said a fond farewell to land based living for a bit.

You can take as long or as short a time as you need but whatever happens the ground rush as the final day approaches is frightening! Things go by in a blur and suddenly you realise you just have to have a final widget of something and you've sold the car - taxi or walking is now the only way to get about!

Anyhow, the best advice I can give is to stop thinking about it and do it! Set a date and work towards it, you'll not regret it!

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Excluding time refitting the boat for ocean sailing it took nearly four months to prepare. You won't believe how many people you need to write to before you go. Mostly to tell people your UK holding address and to cancel services - utilities, banks, building society, share dividend folks, local council, cancel newspapers it just goes on and on.