How far is that boat?

lustyd

Visit site
Little tip that I found last year and forgot to post. When anchoring or at anchor and wondering how far a boat is (they always look too close!) just turn on the radar and/or AIS and measure the distance. Absolute game changer. If you have 30m chain out and the radar tells you the boat is 50m away it takes all the worry out of the situation. It's surprising how far things are when you actually measure them instead of guessing. Last weekend we guessed 30m and it was 90m. Obviously bear in mind your radar isn't at the bow, their AIS might be off centre or badly configured, etc. but I find this really useful.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I do have radar, but it took a surprisingly long time to realise I could do this to check distance in anchorages. Aside from this I’ve only used the radar once in anger, so it makes the investment more worthwhile too 😂
It's certainly a wonderful tool. Modern sets are strsitforward to use as well.
If I'm on a boat with radar I spend a bit of time practising on getting the best out of it in clear conditions before it gets restricted.

I wonder how many leisure vessels with radar actually switch it on?

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
If I'm on a boat with radar I spend a bit of time practising on getting the best out of it in clear conditions before it gets restricted.

The modern digital scanners use a lot less juice so I’m much more inclined to use mine now than I was a decade ago. It also has a facility to do a set number of scans every so many minutes (configurable) which is a useful facility when on longer passages, especially using the guard zone function. Any echo in the guard zone can alarm. Great for fishing boats which frequently have AIS not transmitting their position.

jlavery

Visit site

I've practised with mine quite a lot. Was essential crossing Belfast to Campbeltown recently in thick fog and broken AIS. Would have lost a day of delivery trip without it.

jlavery

Visit site
I've practised with mine quite a lot. Was essential crossing Belfast to Campbeltown recently in thick fog and broken AIS. Would have lost a day of delivery trip without it.
And under colregs, you should/must use it in poor visibility. As an instructor, we must teach it now, especially if tuition boat has radar. (Meant to discuss it and plotting sheets if not fitted🙄).

lustyd

Visit site
Any echo in the guard zone can alarm. Great for fishing boats which frequently have AIS not transmitting their position.
I now prefer to just have it track things and treat everything like AIS targets seeing everything as a tracked object makes it easier to manage and take actions, and I don't get unnecessary alarms if things aren't on a collision course or close to it

dansaskip

seabear.uk
When anchoring or at anchor and wondering how far a boat is (they always look too close!)
Yes I used to find this but I found getting into the dinghy and going for a little row soon altered that perception, amazing how an even slightly lower viewpoint changes things. Still your tip's a good un.

Stingo

Visit site
Little tip that I found last year and forgot to post. When anchoring or at anchor and wondering how far a boat is (they always look too close!) just turn on the radar and/or AIS and measure the distance. Absolute game changer. If you have 30m chain out and the radar tells you the boat is 50m away it takes all the worry out of the situation. It's surprising how far things are when you actually measure them instead of guessing. Last weekend we guessed 30m and it was 90m. Obviously bear in mind your radar isn't at the bow, their AIS might be off centre or badly configured, etc. but I find this really useful.
I use one of these Laser Distance Meters. This one is rated to 120 metres, which is good enough for me. I've seen them rated for 300 metres, but at that sort of distance I don't think you need worry.

It's also great for checking if you suspect that that nasty charter boat is dragging towards you.

Screenshot_20230526-211050_Gallery.jpg

Other threads that may be of interest