How far down the Thames did you get on bank holiday?

Elessar

Visit site
I got to the end and turned right. Now sat in St. Peter Port and they have free wifi. I can't believe that with such a rotten summer I picked the only week of good weather, I'm never that lucky!
Stopoffs so far:
Ramsgate
Dieppe (fabulous, never been before, really friendly, resteraunt approx 38 stagger steps from boat, will go back!)
Deuville (crap, and the bar is silted up, won't go back)
Cherbourg (great marina and cherbourg nicer than you might think if you find time to wander)
Guernsey yesterday, arrived in the most fabulous sunshine. Cap de la hague was a bit iffy though on spring tides, got a bit wet and broke a glass in the galley.
Sitting here on the boat the only downside is knowing my wife is discovering Guernsey shops and I know she likes the ones where the bags have rope handles if you know what I mean.
Herm tomorrow, may go to Jersey but have to keep an eye on the trip back.
Might post some pics when I get back!

Chris_d

Visit site
That sounds like a great trip, well done. Wouldn't mind doing that myself next year, hadn't thought about going to the Channel Islands, via the French coast from the Thames.

Notice you didn't comment on Ramsgate?

bradtarga34

Visit site
You lucky devil to have the weather with you, where was your start off point? we had planned to go to the CI's this year, but as the weather was pants we ended up hopping across to Boulogne, then to Dieppe and Fecamp and then back again. I agree with you about Dieppe, we really enjoyed it, and the Saturday market is HUGE! The fact that you are surrounded by bars and restaurants is not such a bad thing either... Fecamp is a nice enough place as well if you fancy somewhere different to stop off at on the way back, unless you are coming back along the English coast of course... We got to Boulogne for the bank holiday weekend, via Gillingham marina due to an engine problem on another boat, then got to Boulogne 3.5 hours after leaving Gillingham on the Saturday which I thought was pretty good going... St Kat's Sunday night, then back to home base on the Sunday via The Albany at Thames Ditton. Sounds like you should have a couple of coldies to lessen the pain when SWMBO comes back from her shopping trip! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Us well perhaps 1 metre down from our mooring ! after recent engine troubles just went out for a trial so went upstream to twickers in case of trouble so that we could come down with the flow if the engine stopped

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I dont think you really want to know how far down the Thames we got at the weekend at all. I think you just wanted to have a bit of a crow about your good fortune and perhaps make the rest of us feel just a tad peed off that we didnt get to do likewise /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Come on......be honest....your having one of those 'I'm the cat that got the cream' moments, aren't you?

Just for the record, I didn't get anyway down at all but did manage to get up as far as Bray, it didn't rain (in fact Saturday was brill), and also had the immeasurable good fortune to find one of the few quiet spots at Windsor. Don't need free WiFi - got my own mobile modem , and swmbo's idea of a good shopping trip is getting loadsastuff from M&S so she has an excuse to go back again to return it! Bliss /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Elessar

Visit site
Yes I'm sorry it was a poorly veiled attempt at showing off. Am back now and we had a fabulous week, I can't believe I picked what seemed like the only week of summer to take off work. Was a bit bumpy on the way back though, and it's back to work tomorrow, still I'm feeling pleased with myself!!
I'm going to make it worse by posting some photos once I've uploaded them.