How do you tie a bowline?

jimi

Visit site
I’d just got the boat copper coated and new sail drive fitted and it was about to go back in water when lockdown happened. So got to put sails on and thoroughly test everything before we do anything. Haven’t been on boat for 5 months now.. longest time away for 20 years.

fredrussell

Visit site
The rabbit comes out of the hole, gets spotted by a bunch of do-good-ers who grass him up to the police for ignoring current advice re staying at home, but he ignores them and goes round the tree and back down the hole again feeling defiant.
Later that day, a YBW lynch mob, having spotted him via his AIS (animal information system) turn up and excavate the hole, catch rabbit and eat him for his sins.

Last edited:

Praxinoscope

Visit site
The rabbit comes out of the hole, gets spotted by a bunch of do-good-ers who grass him up to the police for ignoring current advice re staying at home, but he ignores them and goes round the tree and back down the hole again feeling defiant.

You beat me to it, this is how I learned to tie a bowline and still rememeber it by this.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Haven’t been on boat for 5 months now.. longest time away for 20 years.

You can make it.

Just consider poor Lt Hiro Onada .

He suffered nearly 30 years of lockdown on that island in the Philippines waiting for the order to surrender in WW2 .

He came home to a hero's welcome in Tokyo in 1974. You can too. :cool:

Sharky34

Visit site
Later that day, a YBW lynch mob, having spotted him via his AIS (animal information system) turn up and excavate the hole, catch rabbit and eat him for his sins.
The problem with that method, is which way do you arrange the rabbit hole, cos one way works, the other way doesn't.
The easy way I was shown, by a fisherman, is to take the tail end & hold it in line with the fingers of right hand, then place it at right angles over the line to form a loop.
Clutch this with your thumb holding the tail, then rotate your right hand clockwise. This then forms the correct rabbit hole, together with the rabbit already through.
Then around tree & back down rabbit hole. Can be done blind & quickly & one handed.

tjbrace

Visit site
The problem with that method, is which way do you arrange the rabbit hole, cos one way works, the other way doesn't.
The easy way I was shown, by a fisherman, is to take the tail end & hold it in line with the fingers of right hand, then place it at right angles over the line to form a loop.
Clutch this with your thumb holding the tail, then rotate your right hand clockwise. This then forms the correct rabbit hole, together with the rabbit already through.
Then around tree & back down rabbit hole. Can be done blind & quickly & one handed.
I was shown this method by a very experienced sailor. His name was Slocum but his first name was Jack not Joshua. Still use the method now.

John the kiwi

Visit site
Hi Tudorsailor.
I learned to tie a bowline in cub s when i was 7 and had been tying them for 30 years and knew it all - until I went on a course and the instructor said " lets see you tie a tight bowline around your waist!"
The solution was your method which was a revelation to me. (Since this predated star wars it wasnt called the Jedi method though.)