How do you remove the rig from a capsized maxi-tri?

Foolish Muse

Visit site
I'm just reading about the towin of the 24 metre trimaran and they said "With the removal of gear and rig, the towing straps were secured near the central hull"

Does anyone know how they could remove the rig from an upside down monster? Do they really mean the mast and standing rigging?

Triassic

Visit site
In much the same way as you remove to from a small trimaran...

I'm really hoping I never have to do it for real but the Sailing manual for my F27 gives instruction on how to do it. Basically you simply reach under and detach the rigging so that it falls away. It's actually easier on these maxi racers as they have rotating masts which don't have any inner shrouds, and they also have synthetic rigging which can be cut a whole lot easier. The trickiest bit is freeing the halyards from the cabin top as that will require a dive underneath.

Triassic

Visit site
Sorry, I was just trying to be helpful.

Perhaps they have exploding bolts in all the relevant places so they can remove it at the push of a button?

Triassic

Visit site
The rig rarely survives a capsize anyhow on those big trimarans so it's just a case of cutting away what is left.

doris

Visit site
The cost of the rig is enormous.
With a tug standing by why can't a diver attach a line to the rig before it's cut free so that it can be craned up?

snowleopard

Visit site
It is surprisingly easy to right a capsized multihull if you know what you are doing - and it doesn't require a humungous crane! People naturally assume you have to tip it over the beam as with a capsized dinghy but that is nigh on impossible.

Attach a bridle to the bows and lead the towrope astern, then tow it backwards. The sterns will sink as the drag of the rig provides an opposite pull to the tow. The only bit that takes a lot of pull is getting the mast clear of the water. It can be done with a boat of similar size. There is footage around the web of it being done.

Triassic

Visit site
Is that also true of Catamarans Snowleopard? I know that works with Tris because they generally don't flood the floats so there is sufficient buoyancy on the edges to stop it falling sideways when approaching the vertical.

snowleopard

Visit site
Is that also true of Catamarans Snowleopard? I know that works with Tris because they generally don't flood the floats so there is sufficient buoyancy on the edges to stop it falling sideways when approaching the vertical.

The video I saw, made by Derek Kelsall, was of a cat being righted by that method.

Triassic

Visit site
The video I saw, made by Derek Kelsall, was of a cat being righted by that method.
I guess it must work then. The only video I've seen of a Cat being righted was that recent Gunboat G4 one, and they did that sideways just like a beach cat. Mind you, that thing weighs almost as little as a beach cat!