HOW DO U STICK TREADMASTER?

G

Some of the treadmaster on my boat is lifting and I do not know what to stick it with. Can I use evostick impact adesive? Any sugestions would be appreciated.

G

Treadmaster do supply an epoxy glue to stick treadmaster down with - although it can't be used over PU paint - you can get it in most chandleries. Otherwise suggest you use Sikaflex or similar which is nice and flexible, a damn good adhesive as well as sealant and can be obtained in small tubes, with a nozzle that you can work in under the lifting treadmaster. Put a heavy weight on it to keep it flat, and clean any splurges with white spirit (which I have never found affects the curing of the Skiaflex) There are cheaper alternatives to Sikaflex (Purflex?). Chandleries losve to rip you off with Sikaflex (generally between £12 and £14 per 330ml tube). Marine and Industrial Sealant in Norwich will do mail order Sikaflex for alot less, last time I ordered some it was £5 a tube.

G

Not used it but know that Vetus-fix at bit under £20 is designed for this and otherwise should find Sikaflex 291 appropriate.

G

Definitely not an impact adhesive. It is not sufficiently waterproof for a marine duty and it will lift again. I spent months cleaning the total deck area of a boat that had all its Treadmaster stuck down unsuccessfully with Evostik.

By far the best is to use the epoxy designed for the job. However, I have applied Marinedeck 2000 to my cockpit seats and this is also a cork-based product, not exactly the same as Treadmaster but broadly similar. The adhesive and grouting supplied with Marinedeck was all made by Sika, various grades. Suggest you speak to Sika to find which of their products they would recommend. Most chandlers seem to have Sika leaflets with contact addresses.