how do I get a job on a ship?

aztec

Visit site
just wondered...

how would i go about getting a job on a large ship?

where are these jobs advertised, and what qualifications do i need?

steve.

Dyflin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Two words - Royal Navy!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he said "large ship"? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

homa

Visit site
Suggest you contact your nearest navigation college.

Warsash would be a good start.

They carry out the training for most departments and jobs on a ship for the Navigator, Engineer and Catering (crowd control etc).

They would also know who are the most likely employers to have vacancies and what's available right now.

Good luck

Bajansailor

Visit site
If you are reasonably young (say under 30'ish), then you might qualify for selection as a cadet with a shipping line - this is today's equivalent (I think) of a midshipman. Once you doing start doing exams then you start climbing the ladder - 1st step would be your 3rd Mate's ticket. Then 2nd Mate, 1st Mate, and ultimately Master.

If you want to get a job on a ship in any capacity, eg as an Able Seaman, Oiler (in the engine room) or Cook, you will need (as a bare minimum) to have successfully completed a 1 week STCW course, where they teach you the basics of fire fighting and sea survival.

Forbsie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
where they teach you the basics of fire fighting

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I'd love to be there when they tried to do that! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bajansailor

Visit site
I have not done an STCW course, but various friends have, and they all thought their courses were brilliant. They are usually of 5 or 6 days duration, and are very comprehensive - they are the absolute minimum requirement now for anybody to go to sea on a 'big' (as opposed to 'small', I think under 24m LOA) ship.
I have done a couple of basic fire fighting courses (just to do with my workplace (RNLI HQ) at the time) and they were good, and I also did a Sea Survival course which was excellent! This was 12 years ago, and I would be tempted to do another one when I move back to high latitudes.

BTW, the full title is an STCW 95 course, the 95 referring to the 1995 amendments to the Standards of Training and Certification of Watchkeepers as issued by the IMO in consultation with other regulatory authorities (I think).