How deep is the Thames ?

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We are planning a Thames cruise next year from Southend to as far as we can get up the Thames. Our draft is 1.12 meters so probably 1.3 safely. How far up will we get ?

[/ QUOTE ]

What measurement is that in English?

Brayman

Visit site
Providing you go slowly on the approach to Clifton Hampden bridge and through to the lock you should be able to make it all the way to Oxford. Our single shaft with a draft of 1.15 is ok all the way up.

miket

Visit site
Are you using the Doral in your profile?
If so, presumably you can raise the outdrives a little to reduce the draft, without losing too much efficiency. Bear in mind you are only looking at 4.5 kts, which is probably tick over on one engine.
I had a Broom 37 that drew 4ft 3inches (1.3m), and with the props the lowest part, and ran out of bottle, having dredged significant areas of river bed and shined up the props accordingly, around Clifton Hambden.
Parking was a pain in the arse, but again I guess you can raise the legs?

ianc1200

Visit site
Might not be relevant due to air draft, but with a 3' 6" deep boat getting up to Lechlade and beyond has never been a problem.

(min air draft is 7' 6" at Oxford)

IanC

oldgit

Visit site
Keep an eye out for Boatone,easy to identify, will be the only boat hard aground somewhere on the river. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
The Environment Agency undertake to maintain certain minimum depths in the non tidal Thames. Note these are 'main channel depths':

[ QUOTE ]
On the navigable section of the Non-tidal Thames (Teddington to Lechlade) the depths range from about 3.0 metres to 0.9 metres. The depth of water is controlled by the Environment Agency (EA) by adjusting the height of the weirs. The EA also endeavour to maintain a minimum dredged depth on the non-tidal River. It is not a constant depth: it varies depending on the section of river:

Teddington - Staines Bridge 2.0m
Staines Bridge - Windsor Bridge 1.7m
Windsor Bridge - Reading Bridge 1.3m
Reading Bridge - Folly Bridge 1.2m
Folly Bridge - Lechlade 0.9m

[/ QUOTE ]

I would certainly not feel happy assuming one could navigate Oxford to Lechlade with a draft of 3'6". Others here have mentioned the shallow bits around Clifton Hampden and I have touched bottom just below Abingdon on at least two occasions.

Obviously, outdrives give greater flexibility.

Brayman

Visit site
Amazingly, for the last two summers I have been able to moor at Clifton Hampden - just the one spot above the bridge. I'm told I could get on immediately below the bridge but it has always been occupied. My 1.15m draft equates to a smidgeon under 4' I think. Depending on the state of my holding tank, which can make 4" difference!

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
Image124.jpg

Andy in the blue is about 6ft so I guess air draft with arch down will be around 8-9ft. including TV dome.

Image141-1.jpg

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Assume not far beyond as Lechlade is head of navigable Thames!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on haow far you want to go.
I got to within 400m of Hannington Bridge in the barge and Ian was there when Neil took his tin slug right up to the bridge.
http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/T01_Imag/fens01/01.6.8/Dscn3671.jpg
Sorry to ruin your street cred Ian

Julian

[/ QUOTE ]

But TNC are either

1. Legends

or

2. Nutters

or

3.. Both:)

Their website is well wort an hour or two finding out just where an nb cn be tken if you are well insured and have a sese of advenure