How can I find a good Aluminium sailboat?

christianhaaland

Visit site
I would like to buy a 35'-45' monohull but finding it difficult to get information on the merits of the varous designs. I would like to use the boat for cruising. I have heard there are French designs(Allures) but have not come across other. Anyone knowing where to turn for a review of various Al-designs?

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
I have an OVNI 395 (Alubat) - the websites above are the contacts. Better build than Allures and lots more exciting features. What do you need to know?

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

You should not find it difficult to get information on the merits of different designs and methods/materials for construction as the yachting press is full of this! It may at times be confusing because there are often no clear cut answers. If you seriously intend buying a boat of this size (and therefore not inconsiderable cost!) suggest you go down the Boat Test section of this site for a start and find out what journalists have written about different boats.There are also many articles in magazines on design and usage of cruising yachts to help you get a picture. The Ovni and Allures yachts have been well covered in Yachting Monthly in recent years. Then you might visit a boat show or two or a marina/dealer/broker to look at boats. Then importantly when you have narrowed down what sort of boat you think you might like it is useful to get experience by chartering or crewing on similar boats.

For many this process can take 20 or more years, buying two or three smaller and cheaper boats on the way before committing (or being able to commit) large sums of money to buying a boat of this size. For me it took 23 years from my first 19 footer to my current 37 footer.

You will find this forum very useful when you have done your homework and are able to ask specific questions on the merits of a particular design as chances are somebody here will own one.

Good hunting

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
I have an OVNI 395 (Alubat) - the websites above are the contacts. Better build than Allures and lots more exciting features. What do you need to know?

I'd like to know why you believe a hard chined Ovni is better built than an round bilged Allures?

I've been around both factories, and have seen both of them in build, and I'd have to disagree

I've sailed both Ovni and Allures, and the Allures was one of the sweetest boats I've helmed, sadly the Ovnis I've sailed weren't

Then there are the "exciting features" of the Ovni you speak of, please enlighten me as I don't recall as many as I can on the Allures.

On the Allures, I found the fact that the sailing cockpit and sail handling areas of the Allure have been mulled over by Mich (Michel Desjoyeaux), quite an exciting feature, also Allures have won awards for their Aluminium to GRP bond. The cockpit and coachroof of the Allures is GRP to make it more comforable and to keep high up weight down. The Allures also have a double sided chart table where it's possible to look out of the saloon windows from. They have twin rudders so you don't have to lift the rudder up, the position of the prop is far enough forward to give wash from the prop over the rudder...and I've remembered all those off the top of my head....that all sounds pretty exciting to me :)

As for aluminium boats as requested by the OP, if you want lifting keel, then as above you have the Ovni and Allures.

If you want fixed keel then you also have Cigale (also Alubat) but they start at 14M

There are galleries of the Allures 44 and the Ovni 435

Last edited:

bitman

www.bit4net.com
i fully agree with snooks about the allures...

but
They have twin rudders so you don't have to lift the rudder up.
the Ovni 435 has twin rudders.

only the current alubat ovni range 365 - 395 do have those lifting rudders what is a no go for me.

i personally don't like that system and found they also lose grip easily when sailing on an ovni 385 in a bit of wind. but that's my personal view on all single rudders. i'm just a twin rudder fan and yes i know how to go aft with them as we park the boat stern to.

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Well, they bounce off rocks better for a start. I note that the poster comes from Stavanger, plenty of rocks around there.....

Call me biased if you like but every sailing alloy vessel I ever sailed on suffered from lots of condensation in most areas and all were very noisy when trying to sleep at anchor overnight.

Powered alloy vessels seen to magnify the engine noise; once delivered a 47 foot fishing vessel with a 2 stroke gemmy diesel engine, we had to put ear muffs on to here ourselves think. We had planned on motoring non stop but as sleeping was impossible we found we had to take 6 hour breaks.

Avagoodweekend......

bitman

www.bit4net.com
oops, your right!

I thought the 435 had a single rudder, but the 445 has double rudders...though I could be wrong, and I can't see for sure from my pics

oops, your right! that 435 is not being build any more... it's the 445 indeed.

info from alubat:

Dear sir,

I acknowledge receipt of your mail and thank you for it. To answer your question, we do not plan to adapt twin rudders on the Ovni 365 and 395 as the mechanism is different from what you have on board now. Twin rudders would mean rethinking the whole cockpit part of the boat and especially the cockpit lockers. The rudders shafts are taking a lot of space from the part of the boat and this kind of rudders have to be thought from first design on as we did on the Ovni 445 and 495.

Kind regards,

Chantier Alubat
info@alubat.com

fantasia7628

Visit site
My dream yacht is for sale, sadly her location, cost and refurb budget prohibit purchase at the moment; but please do rescue her. She is advertised on the Sparkman Stephens Owners Assoc website along with many other dreams of mine. Perhaps many would class her as a MAB; but this is pure class in my mind.

46‘ Sparkman & Stephens, Nevins, Centerboard Sloop 1958

image enlarge
reset image to original view

Currituck“ is for sale.

46‘ Sparkman & Stephens, Nevins, Centerboard Sloop

Year: 1958

Design Nr: 1367

This one of a kind yacht, originally named “Currituck”, was designed especially for a personal acquaintance of Olin and Rod Stephens, and co-member of New York Yacht Club. She was built at the noble address of Nevins Yacht Yard on City Island, New York, with the personal involvement of both brothers.

With heavy hearts we will part with this beautiful yacht, which we sailed under the name “Manatee”, and which was our home for years. Our life has taken a direction in which she no longer has a place. While cruising in the Cape Verde Islands we decided to settle in one of the most beautiful anchorages we had visited. What began as the construction of a house for us and for a few guests turned into a small resort and has become our livelihood. (Please see www.MarTranquilidade.com ) Over the years we slowly realized that our plan, to put the building project on hold for awhile and continue cruising, had lost momentum and would never come to be. For too long “Manatee” collected barnacles at anchor here in the bay; now she is collecting dust in dry dock on the neighboring island. It is time for her to continue her destiny in new hands.

Design No: 1367; listed in “Best of the Best”; all original plans are available in the archives of Sparkman & Stephens in New York City

LOA: 46’2 ½ “

LWL: 32’0”

BEAM: 12’10”

Draft: 4’10 ½ “

Engine: Mercedes OM636

Displacement: 15 Tons

Hull: Aluminum

Cabin House: Teak

Located: Mindelo, Cape Verde Islands

Price: €80000 Negotiable

noelex

Visit site
Call me biased if you like but every sailing alloy vessel I ever sailed on suffered from lots of condensation in most areas and all were very noisy when trying to sleep at anchor overnight.

Avagoodweekend......
Aluminium cruising boats are normally insulated and typically are quieter and suffer less condensation than fiberglass boats.
My own yacht has the drawback that it is very hard to notice an increasing wind strength when down below. I often set a high speed wind alarm just to alert me. No condensation or mold when conditions have produced a dripping headliner on fiberglass boats.
I think you must have experienced more old aluminium racing hulls which are sometimes not insulated to produce the lowest possible weight or smaller plate aluminium power boats which are not insulated to reduce cost.