How busy is the Ionian in summer?

ridgy

Visit site
The possibility to get a share in something out of Lefkas has suddenly arisen but would be there mostly in summer school holidays.
I've heard the stories of how busy it is...is it really as hot, windless and rammed as people suggest? I thought about following a flotilla around one day behind and getting in when they leave, or does everyone do that? Also happy to anchor and dinghy in.

Mark-1

Visit site
The possibility to get a share in something out of Lefkas has suddenly arisen but would be there mostly in summer school holidays.
I've heard the stories of how busy it is...is it really as hot, windless and rammed as people suggest? I thought about following a flotilla around one day behind and getting in when they leave, or does everyone do that? Also happy to anchor and dinghy in.

The towns are insanely busy but we were able to find a beautiful anchorage completely to ourselves literally every night year after year. Always stste school hols because wife was a teacher.

Lunchtime most towns were very quiet as everyone was on their way to the next place.

So as always, it's as busy as you want it to be.

If, like me, you're an early starter it really is windless. As far as I can tell there's no gradient wind at all in August. The thermal breeze picks up in the afternoon, so there's decent breeze then. So again, it's just as windless as you want it to be.

FWIW we went once went early November and there was 'normal' wind.

xyachtdave

Visit site
From what I've seen and info gathered speaking with the flotilla organisers they book about a week in advance and usually have the taverna owners on side. Not sure how successful following them a day behind would be as the various companies appear to communicate with each other via the flotilla leaders.

When it's busy you do see people motoring flat out into port at 2pm to get a space, which isn't my idea of fun hence our preference for flotilla sailing.

Going again tomorrow, can't wait!

wonkywinch

Visit site
The problem with flotilla following is that there are several companies who's reps meet up in the bars and divvy up the roster so you might be one day behind Sunsail but it will be DYC's day for example.

The weekends are usually quiet away from Lefkas as it's changeover time.

The lack of morning wind and sheer numbers of boats (it's perfect for novices so if you only ever went on one sailing holiday it would likely be to the Ionian) has put me off going again. I prefer the Sporades.

jordanbasset

Visit site
As @Mark-1 says, lots of quiet anchorages if you don't want to tie to a quay. There is still often a taverna you can dinghy/walk to

If you do want to be in the harbours you will need to get in early, between 2pm-4pm. But like anywhere you can drop on quite late

Weekends tend to be quieter than week days, as it appears most flotilla and charters have weekends as their transfer day

We also found the last week in August and first week in September quieter. I suspect because those with children don't want to leave it so late. Those without children think it will be busy

oldbloke

Visit site
We use the same strategy as Mark 1 with success. Ithaca tends to be quieter also , if you have the stable millpond, especially at night, the there are literally thousands of spots you can anchor if you are not looking for shelter. You then get fresh air, fewer wasps and fewer turds in the water.