Hornblower.

Rabbie

Visit site
Having read possibly hundreds of similar stories by authors like O'Brien, Kent etc, I can't believe that I never read C.S. Foresters books before. I recently picked up his first 3 Hornblower novels and enjoyed them thoroughly. O'Brien was very good, but I felt his meticulous attention to period detail got in the way of the plots. Hornblower is very refreshing to read and gives the 'feel' of what it was like to be in command in those days fighting Boney. Hoping to find more now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Poignard

Visit site
I enjoyed C.S. Forester's "Brown on Resolution" years ago. It's about an Able Seaman R.N. who somehow finds himself alone on an island where a German cruiser is anchored in a cove surrounded by steep cliffs. [I think it was set in the 1914-18 War]. Armed only with a rifle and ammunition he somehow manages to................. Anyway, I thought it was a good read.

Rabbie

Visit site
I haven't read that one -yet, but it was made into a very good film called 'Single-handed' with Michael Rennie and Jeffrey Hunter as A.B. Brown. It is shown on TV occasionally and was on a few week back.