Honda EX650 generator - water damage = no electric output

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I have a mid 90s Honda EX650 I bought new and hardly ever used.

Due to "being a prat syndrome" it ended up partly submerged for a couple of months (stored in a box with no drain holes)
Anyway the thing starts and runs fine but no power out.

Looking at the generator head end it seems to have had about 2 inches of water in there. It did run with power briefly then stopped supplying power. The breaker hasn't popped out...

Is there anything obvious to look at or is it a strip down job?

Lovely quiet unit the EX650.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
The electrical stuff will certainly have corroded the connectors at the very least. The coils might still be OK if you're lucky but stripping down and re-making all connections is the only way forward. If that's solves the problem don't be too optimistic as water trapped in coils will still continue to cause corrosion but if it starts to work put in in a box with some dessicant or a small space with a dehumidifier or similar and try and dry it out asap.

Richard

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
OK thanks.

I've got a friend who has another one which won't start so am also wondering how practical it would be to swap the generator heads over ?

I've never done that but it can't be that complicated as these generators are usually a modular design built on a standard engine which will have several other applications.

If you've any experience working on engines like changing a starter motor or an alternator you should be OK.

Richard

Strolls

Visit site
Lovely quiet unit the EX650.

It's one of Pete Power's favourites:

If quiet running is what you need then the Honda EX650 trumps all comers but quiet running is not the only thing that made the Honda EX650 a true design triumph. The Honda EX650 is the most durable and repairable machine I have come across. The engines are bullet proof and even after many thousands of hours service the most that is usually required to bring them back to as new condition is new piston rings. The controls are fantastic with everything done by one simple knob. It’s a doddle in the dark.​

Might be worth getting in touch with him - he seems very helpful, and a true enthusiast.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Thanks for the tip.

I am confident on stripping it down if its worth doing - sounds like it is.
I also have a Kawasaki GD700AS (electric start!) Which works OK so no hurry to get the Honda going but the Honda is a nicer unit really.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Have you tried "flashing" the generator.

Some times if a brushless alternator is left not working for some time it can loose the residual magnetism the is needed to start the generating process.

Google " flashing a generator"

gregors123

Visit site
Hi All - I also have a EX650 that was totally submerged - it will fire up on easy start but then fails to run for any duration - any tips on where I should start
Thanks Chris

gregors123

Visit site
Hi -
I have an EX11000 and I would check the oil level switch then if failed will stop the engine of prevent it stating
Thanks very much - funny you should reply and say this as I was just reading somewhere else that these have a automatic engine oil cut off and I have just replaced the oil as it had water in - maybe I haven't put enough in - I will check later thanks Chris

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Have you tried "flashing" the generator.

Some times if a brushless alternator is left not working for some time it can loose the residual magnetism the is needed to start the generating process.

Google " flashing a generator"
I has been partially submerged and did run briefly with power so I think, Roger, it may be a bit more serious than you suggest. Probably, at least, a burned out coil 🥴 Not familiar with the machine or its construction. But!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I has been partially submerged and did run briefly with power so I think, Roger, it may be a bit more serious than you suggest. Probably, at least, a burned out coil 🥴 Not familiar with the machine or its construction. But!

That posting by me was in 2016 so not really to the latest posting where the OP stated " it will fire up on easy start but then fails to run for any duration -"

My comment on flashing relates to a Honda EX generator that runs but donot provide electrical.

This generator has on excitation coil that via diodes provide the excitation power to the main coils to produce the mains power.

The initial excitation power cones from residual magnetism which can be lost over tomes of non-use.

faulty diodes or as you say a burned-out coil either excitation coil or main coil could cause the alternator to stop producing mains power.

In this case the engine seems to not run for some time on quick start.

This could also be water or dirt in the carb which should be cleaned out but I think the poster should/would know that

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
That posting by me was in 2016 so not really to the latest posting where the OP stated " it will fire up on easy start but then fails to run for any duration -"

My comment on flashing relates to a Honda EX generator that runs but donot provide electrical.

This generator has on excitation coil that via diodes provide the excitation power to the main coils to produce the mains power.

The initial excitation power cones from residual magnetism which can be lost over tomes of non-use.

faulty diodes or as you say a burned-out coil either excitation coil or main coil could cause the alternator to stop producing mains power.

In this case the engine seems to not run for some time on quick start.

This could also be water or dirt in the carb which should be cleaned out but I think the poster should/would know that
Bit of a mix up in posts here Roger. For some reason I am not seeing some posts and seem to be restricted in response ? Any the Easy start post is not by the OP but know what you mean. I am somewhat au fait with the excitation and general operation. The fact that the OP's machine stopped producing power shortly after start up and did not trip any external breakers suggests internal problems. As you say could be diodes. The other post is of course referring to the engine side of a generator and he doesn't say how submerged it was. Think maybe to avoid further confusion I will let sleeping dogs lie. :unsure: