home port question

ChattingLil

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...-and-details-in-this-month-s-Yachting-Monthly

To avoid thread drift on the one linked above - I'm asking here about home port. I'm a bit confused. Based on the statements made in that thread about the requirement to have home port on the transom, does that mean that if you move your home you are required to change what is says on the transom? I've googled around the question, but can't find an answer for small leisure boats.

Anyone know what the actual requirements are? If you must do it, how long have you got to do it? What counts as home port anyway?

What counts as your port of registration? And what does that even mean?

Colvic Watson

If like me you're part one registered you can choose whatever port you like, but it's £100 to change it. If not part one you can put whatever you like on there. There's a fairly limited choice of ports of part one.

Gargleblaster

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...-and-details-in-this-month-s-Yachting-Monthly

What counts as home port anyway?

If Ocean Lady is Part 1 registered a Port of Registration will be on the paperwork. While this may not be where you keep your boat it is what should be recorded on your transom. If you are SSR registered, you can really put anything you like.

My boat is called 'Raven of Hamble' and is Part 1 registered to Cowes, although I keep her at Gillingham. On the stern I have displayed;
Raven of Hamble
Cowes
[I do also have my club 'MCC' on the stern as Peel Ports like that piece of information if my boat should be found drifting down the river.

My other boat that is currently ashore at Rochford is SSR registered and displays:
Glayva
Paglesham

as really I can put anything as a port of registration or origin.

I had a friend with a 42' Beneteau that he kept in Marmaris, that said his port of registration was Temple which is in Berkshire and so far up the Thames no boat could get up there with the mast up, but he had a house there so that is what he chose as his port of registration.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat

SSR does not have a port of registration. Part 1 does. I do not see how a British registered vessel meeting the standards required by the UK can be fined by another nation for not meeting their standards of registration.

All Alchemist had on the stern was name, SSR no and RNSA. Not put a 'port' on any of my boats.

Last edited:

johnalison

The only time anyone has mentioned my lack of home port signage in nearly forty years of cruising abroad was a Dutch yachtsman tied alongside in Poland about ten years ago. I couldn't persuade him that it wasn't a legal requirement in the UK and we agreed to differ. I expect the RYA and others to support me should I ever run into bother about it. We could send a gunboat if necessary.

Tomahawk

SSR does not have a port of registration. Part 1 does. I do not see how a British registered vessel meeting the standards required by the UK can be fined by another nation for not meeting their standards of registration.

All Alchemist had on the stern was name, SSR no and RNSA. Not put a 'port' on any of my boats.

Try the man has a gun….?
If you do not pay him, he will simply arrest you for breach of the peace.. or anything he concocts…

ChattingLil

but what would count as Home Port?

We're in Limehouse, but I assume we would put London. Would that count all the way down to, say, Gravesend?
If we were on the Crouch still, would we put Bridgemarsh (like anyone would even have a clue as to where that would be!) or even better, Brandy Hole? :-D

stranded

The only time anyone has mentioned it was when we were stern to the quay in Hvar and an American chap wandered over and said 'Gee, you've sailed all the way from London...". In fact the boat (a share) was launched new in Slovenia and we had sailed her no further than Split. I think I got away with just a modest smile!

Last edited:

maby

I think that SSR did have the concept of a port of registration until quite recently. I'm pretty sure that I specified Rochester as the home port when we SSR registered our old Hunter about six or seven years ago. Certainly not presented as an option on the current application form.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Try the man has a gun….?
If you do not pay him, he will simply arrest you for breach of the peace.. or anything he concocts…

What planet are you on?

I no longer own a boat. In about 40 years of sailing and in my 17 years of boat ownership I have never had anyone put a gun to me and that includes sailing in various parts of the world when Her Majesty used to take me there. Even when in the RN and I did the boarding with a revolver and a sailor with a gun to 'protect' me (probably an oxymoron) I never came across a weapon in anger.

Anyway back to OPs question - if you are going to put a port on anywhere you fancy will do, it doesn't need to be where you keep the boat. Maybe it will keep the petty bureaucrats happy?

Gargleblaster

What planet are you on?

I no longer own a boat. In about 40 years of sailing and in my 17 years of boat ownership I have never had anyone put a gun to me and that includes sailing in various parts of the world when Her Majesty used to take me there. Even when in the RN and I did the boarding with a revolver and a sailor with a gun to 'protect' me (probably an oxymoron) I never came across a weapon in anger.

Anyway back to OPs question - if you are going to put a port on anywhere you fancy will do, it doesn't need to be where you keep the boat. Maybe it will keep the petty bureaucrats happy?
Some years ago just before Poland joined the EU, a number of Roach Sailing Association boats arrived at Swinajouscie [or however you spell it] in Poland. I was made Persona non Grata and told to leave the way I had come in and had a boat follow me over the border. The two remaining boats were fired on as they left the port bound for Gdansk as due to language problems they were not aware that they had to check out and check into each individual Polish port. I understand that a mild rebuke was issued to the Polish official in question.

We all had a home port on our stern, which in the case of one of the boats fired on was used as an aiming mark.