Holland

P

Peegee

Are any of you "usual suspects" off to Holland this year, at least to the southern haunts, i.e. VeeresMere, Grevelingen etc.
and if so, are you all fitted up this new ATIS radio regulation. I just dont think I have time to sort it all befor going , and as I have never been troubled by Dutch authorities in the past I was going to take a chance. Your opinions , as ever, would be appreciated....Ta muchly

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Having been in communication with Icom (v helpful) about buying a new radio (mine's non-dsc anyway) & having it programmed to switch between ATIS & DSC and therefore comply with both RAINWAT & UK regulations, I read the obligatory RAINWAT document and discovered (as I interpret it) in the last few pages that you need a specific Inland Waterways VHF licence in order to operate it legally.

Now unless OFCOM has an agreement with the RAINWAT peeps it seems to me that my radio would be legal but I'm not - so shafted anyway /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As Morgana says - I'll think I'll chance it with what I've got /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
If my summer hols turn out like last year I won't get out of the Orwell /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You should know sailorman quite well then /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
We have planned a trip over to Norther Belgium/Southern Holland for two weeks from around 4 July. We intend to head to the Westerschelde, Veersemeer and points in between that we have yet to visit.
That will complete the coastal areas from Den Helder to the Seine. Mind you, our UK trips have only taken us as far south as Dover and as far north as the Wash (apparantly there ARE dragons beyond both points!)
As for ATIS, we had no DSC enabled radio so thoght that was a no go. However, due to a very useful post on the forum, we found a DSC/ATIS set at Maplins for just under £50! It allows you to enter both the MMSI number and ATIS number and has a function whereby you can turn on 'inland waterways' mode so it will send the ATIS number when you transmit but this is disabled in 'normal' mode.

This forum is a wonderful thing.

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Ah, but if you read the agreement you are also required to have a valid Inland Waterway VHF licence - the syllabus of which covers the use of ATIS in inland waters.

I don't think anybody sailing from the UK has such a licence at present - perhaps take the exam in Holland when you arrive, then you will be legal. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Cantata

Visit site
May be a silly question...
Are we sure that these areas of Holland are defined as 'inland waterways' for the purpose of ATIS. I ask because you don't need a CEVNI there, I just wonder if the Dutch categorise these areas differently.