Hold on everybody I’ve got a plan

Onemorething…

Visit site
Hi everyone - naive, hopeful and optimistic newbie here.

I’ll get to the point… I have found a permanent residential mooring on the Thames - an affluent area, place of beauty etc.

It is a permanent shoreline mooring (I think the council own the concrete steps and the canal trust own the river, and the moorings are privately owned - not 100per cent sure). It is equipped with electric only, no water but that’s fine. It is hugely important that I keep the aesthetics of the area in keeping.

My plan :

Buy a static 30 ft x 12 foot static caravan-bolt to an aluminium frame/pontoon/floor.

At this point it would look terrible, so I’d
insulate it etc and shroud it in very nice aesthetically pleasing real wood cladding so the actual static caravan would not be seen at all from the outside. I would also do something to the roof eg shingles, rubber etc on top of the existing roof for protection / warmth etc and also to make sure it is classy /in keeping / and finished to a high standard.

It would be driven very seldomly by a 15hp (more?) outboard engine prob 5 -10 miles max.

Questions:

Does this idea need planning permission before I went ahead from the local authorities (which one?)

What are the legalities of the distance from the waterline to the bottom of the front door distance / regulations -etc so I don’t get flooded, stay safe etc

The aluminium floating pontoon will hold 8.2 tonnes at 76 percent immersion and 6.8 tonnes at 58 percent. The pontoon will cost approx £13 k apparently.

I can research how to insulate / get weights of the contents of the boat etc but my main concern is if I’d be allowed to do it at all. I don’t want to upset the new neighbours with a monstrosity but I don’t think it would be tbh if planned properly.

Would my neighbours just across the fairly busy road have any rights to complain if they don’t like what they saw ?(It will be 100 times better than the ready to scrap Dutch barge there already).
Or is it a case of it being a subjective issue and if it’s legal, (has river license, BSS, insurance etc) then does it even matter what they think?

I like the idea because it won’t have to be taken out the water every 2 years, the static caravan will be very well protected / warm and I get to design the interior how I like - eg bi -fold doors possibly in the future to look out onto the river. The presently white double glazed windows would be sprayed from white to say black or anthracite grey etc.

I’d really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Hi everyone - naive, hopeful and optimistic newbie here.

I’ll get to the point… I have found a permanent residential mooring on the Thames - an affluent area, place of beauty etc.

It is a permanent shoreline mooring (I think the council own the concrete steps and the canal trust own the river, and the moorings are privately owned - not 100per cent sure). It is equipped with electric only, no water but that’s fine. It is hugely important that I keep the aesthetics of the area in keeping.

My plan :

Buy a static 30 ft x 12 foot static caravan-bolt to an aluminium frame/pontoon/floor.

At this point it would look terrible, so I’d
insulate it etc and shroud it in very nice aesthetically pleasing real wood cladding so the actual static caravan would not be seen at all from the outside. I would also do something to the roof eg shingles, rubber etc on top of the existing roof for protection / warmth etc and also to make sure it is classy /in keeping / and finished to a high standard.

It would be driven very seldomly by a 15hp (more?) outboard engine prob 5 -10 miles max.

Questions:

Does this idea need planning permission before I went ahead from the local authorities (which one?)

What are the legalities of the distance from the waterline to the bottom of the front door distance / regulations -etc so I don’t get flooded, stay safe etc

The aluminium floating pontoon will hold 8.2 tonnes at 76 percent immersion and 6.8 tonnes at 58 percent. The pontoon will cost approx £13 k apparently.

I can research how to insulate / get weights of the contents of the boat etc but my main concern is if I’d be allowed to do it at all. I don’t want to upset the new neighbours with a monstrosity but I don’t think it would be tbh if planned properly.

Would my neighbours just across the fairly busy road have any rights to complain if they don’t like what they saw ?(It will be 100 times better than the ready to scrap Dutch barge there already).
Or is it a case of it being a subjective issue and if it’s legal, (has river license, BSS, insurance etc) then does it even matter what they think?

I like the idea because it won’t have to be taken out the water every 2 years, the static caravan will be very well protected / warm and I get to design the interior how I like - eg bi -fold doors possibly in the future to look out onto the river. The presently white double glazed windows would be sprayed from white to say black or anthracite grey etc.

I’d really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance

KevinV

Visit site
Can't help you on rules and regs, but I know from converting a static caravan to a kitchen that it would be quicker and easier to build from scratch. That's not even considering how you would get the body of a static onto a pontoon - they have very little rigidity.

Gibeltarik

Visit site
If it is a permanent residential mooring then it will have a planning consent for one or more residential boats.

You can search the local authority planning portal on-line using the postcode of the houses across the road.

The planning inspector may have a view on aesthetics.

Chris_d

Visit site
This has all the hallmarks of a troll from the med, but it's been a bit quiet here lately. Look forward to the "advice" and I apologise if it's genuine. 😁

Richborough

Visit site
I'm constructing a floating home for my brother an this moment. 2 x11mtr poontoons bolted together. 8.5 mtr long 4.8 Mars wide with the remaining space and outside deck. We discounted a caravan as to the build structure to flimsy by the time you wrapped the exterior with frames and cladding ect .

Onemorething…

Visit site
I’ve been quoted approx £13k for an aluminium 10 x 3m frame - how does that compare with yr price if u don’t mind me asking? Do you have a less expense plan?

Onemorething…

Visit site
Why not buy a boat?
I liked the idea of a big open space that I could design myself - lots of light - it would be sitting put most of the time - it’s for the view and atmosphere mainly. Also it’s a project and also because I thought I was being clever and ducking costs for what I wanted. And as boats go - low maintenance.
However, what I’m increasingly realising though esp thanks to this forum is that I’m not being as clever as I thought I was. But that’s all part of the research and the journey. The project is well underway, although it’s all in my head atm.
i imagine that I’ll probably end up buying a boat that is suitable instead.

Richborough

Visit site
The pontoon came with 6 floats . Then I added 4 more. Removing the teak deck and joist took off a ton. Each pontoon can take with 3 floats could take 4 tons each so adding 2 more which are bigger plus removal of teak .