HMS Wakeful Captain Ralph Lindsey Fisher

Visit site
My Grandfather died at Dunkirk on HMS Wakeful (Stanley McCullough Stoker) I am trying to find out if the Captain, Ralph Lindsey Fisher who survived the sinking and I think who finished his career with the rank of Admiral went on in retirement to be commodore of either Christchurch or Chichester Yacht club? Does anyone know or can you point me in the direction of where I could possibly find out? Very many thanks Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
My Grandfather died at Dunkirk on HMS Wakeful (Stanley McCullough Stoker) I am trying to find out if the Captain, Ralph Lindsey Fisher who survived the sinking and I think who finished his career with the rank of Admiral went on in retirement to be commodore of either Christchurch or Chichester Yacht club? Does anyone know or can you point me in the direction of where I could possibly find out? Very many thanks Jonathan
Welcome to the forum

I might contact both Christchurch and Chichester Yacht Clubs and ask the question. Yacht Clubs, and most other such clubs, maintain good records of their Officers, commonly on large boards with the names in gold print.

You can probably trace the career of Ralph Lindsey Fisher, if he was a career naval officer, through the Public Records Office - but I'm not entirely sure how. For a summary of his career simply google "Ralph Lindsey Fisher' and you will get chapter and verse, and some links. It turns out he retired to Scotland and was a near neighbour of mine, I'm a little bit younger :). If he retired to Scotland it would have been difficult, or inconvenient to be a Commodore of a south coast yacht club. I was not sufficiently interested, so did not delve more deeply, but was he related to the more famous Fisher, from WW1?

I did similar research on my Grandfather, also a Stoker, but in the earlier war.

Jonathan, Sydney, Australia

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

I might contact both Christchurch and Chichester Yacht Clubs and ask the question. Yacht Clubs, and most other such clubs, maintain good records of their Officers, commonly on large boards with the names in gold print.

You can probably trace the career of Ralph Lindsey Fisher, if he was a career naval officer, through the Public Records Office - but I'm not entirely sure how. For a summary of his career simply google "Ralph Lindsey Fisher' and you will get chapter and verse, and some links. It turns out he retired to Scotland and was a near neighbour of mine, I'm a little bit younger :). If he retired to Scotland it would have been difficult, or inconvenient to be a Commodore of a south coast yacht club. I was not sufficiently interested, so did not delve more deeply, but was he related to the more famous Fisher, from WW1?

I did similar research on my Grandfather, also a Stoker, but in the earlier war.

Jonathan, Sydney, Australia
Hi,
very many thanks for the information. I think you might be correct in thinking I had picked up information regarding the Captain’s father.! Best regards Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
I was intrigued and find that R L Fisher was the second Lord Fisher (or maybe the third).

Jan Morris is author of Fisher's Face, of the first Lord Fisher - though I am sure there are other authors and books.

Good Luck,

Jonathan