HMS Pickle

Visit site
I've just seen an article in The Portugal News about a reproduction of the battle of Trafalgar ship which has been repaired and is due to be launched this pm to go to Vilamoura. I've never tried to print a picture here so if it doesn't work you can perhaps find it in www.theportugalnews.com

Attachments

• digitalizar0004.jpg
    digitalizar0004.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0

RustyMoose

Visit site
There was a Facebook page showing some of the gory details of the refit and what went into get into shape. I haven't looked for a few months but was an interesting read for half an hour.

maxi77

Visit site
How did they get the ship to Lagoa?

She was famous not for her activity in the battle but for transporting Nelsons body from Gibraltar to the UK.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
She was up in Holyhead where I saw her just before they set off for Gibraltar a few years ago. She met with a storm in the bay of Biscay and had to put into la coruna for repairs. Eventually reached Gib where the owners were hoping to make a living with charters and look around trips but I don't think it worked out. Shame because the crew were a nice bunch.
The original did reach England with the first news of the battle of Trafalgar and Nelson's death but I don't think they carried the body back. They outran a ship of the line and the skipper arrived first in London after spending a years salary hiring a fast carriage from Falmouth. They did have a website where full history available.
She wasn't actually an HMS because she was a sloop apparently.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...The original did reach England with the first news of the battle of Trafalgar and Nelson's death but I don't think they carried the body back. They outran a ship of the line and the skipper arrived first in London after spending a years salary hiring a fast carriage from Falmouth. They did have a website where full history available...Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?436071-HMS-Pickle#2H1sew3GgMSpKGim.99...

Yes definitely delivered news of the battle/victory rather than any undertaking duties; there ought to be some RN type posting as it's a big thing in the Navy: 'Pickle Night' being a major party/piss-up.

But why did they bother? If Pickle had a website as you say, they could've just posted the result there (like BBC Sport do) or sent an email with the news to the Admiralty.

Woodlouse

Visit site
As far as I know this boat isn't a replica of the Pickle at all, just a boat that was given the name in time for the bicentenary of Trafalgar and they've been riding on the connection ever since. They even duped Tom Cunliffe in his boats that built Britain series.

I think I'm right in saying that she is one of a pair of training ships built for Russia in Finland that were never delivered and eventually sold to a chap on a buy one get one free offer. One went to the East Anglian OYT and became the Pickle, the other went to Wales and became the Cymru.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
That's not my understanding after our conversation with the crew. It does have an engine and modern electronics though.
More here http://www.schoonerpickle.com

Still can't get links properly

Last edited: