Hiab and mast?

dgadee

Visit site
Can a hiab lift a boat with its mast up? 32 foot boat and planning to stay in a bit longer this winter to coppercoat. Club crane hire will not be available when I want to launch. So, do I have to remove the mast so that a hiab can lift me in next year?

B27

Visit site
HIABs come in all sorts of sizes.
It's not just the weight, but also how far they can move something.
And they are not all that great at lowering things below the level of the lorry.
I think you are wanting something pretty top end.
I would either get a definite offer from a particular bloke with a HIAB, or look at other solutions like putting the boat on a trolley when the other launch and then tractoring it down a slip at low tide.
Or go to a proper yard.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
My 20-ton steel boat was lifted with 2 Hiab's one at each end when we loaded it on to a trailer to move the boat for launch

Refueler

Visit site
Of course it can ... lift point is just aft of mast - so only item that may be of interest is backstay(s).

dULmcfol.jpg

R6om9YDl.jpg

Yes mast is down - but thats purely because she's then off on a road trip for repairs.

That HIAB is a 10ton unit designed for roof work .. so height is no problem.... Boat is 4 ton 25ft ... but truck co. has an artic with 30ton HIAB that could do same with my 38ft yacht (would need cradle though as its fin).

"And they are not all that great at lowering things below the level of the lorry." .... but using slings and chains as we do - lowering below truck bed to ground is no problem at all. I can launch boat with same gear ... once boat floats .. HIAB goes down a touch more - unhook slings and then HIAB up and away.

dgadee

Visit site
The mast will be removed. Club don't want a mast up if it's not going in with the other boats. Gets in the way of the crane.