hi - new member here

DamesAtSea

Visit site
Hi - my name is Pam. I am new to sailing. I love it! I have an extraordinary dream to sail the world in the next few years (more about me later!). We live in TX and we 1st want to sail to Panama and back. I have a couple questions, when is the best time of year to catch the prevailing winds? Would it be better to leave from TX, and go through the Gulf down to Panama, or leave from FL then to Panama?

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
Hello Pam. Welcome to the forum.

As most people here are British-based there probably isn't a lot of knowledge to answer your question. I don't want to chase you away, but I would imagine you would be able to find an American forum with people better qualified to answer your question. Indeed, any minute now someone is going to come along and suggest exactly the site you need.

rivonia

Visit site
Hello Pam,

A big welcome to the forum. Lovely place where you are. We sailed over there for a couple of years but went North not south. A few members are in the Carribean and may respond to you
hopefully.

Fair winds

Peter

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Hi - my name is Pam. I am new to sailing. I love it! I have an extraordinary dream to sail the world in the next few years (more about me later!). We live in TX and we 1st want to sail to Panama and back. I have a couple questions, when is the best time of year to catch the prevailing winds? Would it be better to leave from TX, and go through the Gulf down to Panama, or leave from FL then to Panama?

Depending on your draught, why not use the Intra Coastal to get to Fort Myers? Get used to the boat & living aboard with easy access to any bits & pieces it turns out you need? Then have a play in the Carribean while you build up confidence.

Lots of people try to do too much too soon & frighten themselves & can go off the idea of RTW cruising as soon as it turns nasty. If you have experienced the good times first, you will then know that the nasty bits are not the be all & end all of RTW & be prepared to weather the storms in order to experience more of the good times. Err, but don't expect only good times all the while! :D

Best wishes & don't forget to report back from time to time as you progress.

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com

Hiya Pam and welcome to the ybw forums. These are the most active sailing forums you will every find and here you will find a wealth of knowledge from many forum members. :)

There is another very active group which I subscribe to and is specifically focused on your area of interest (the Gulf, TX, Panama, Florida etc) and can be found if you follow this link but please don't leave these forums. :D

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cruisers_Network_Online/

:)