Hi Guys and Girls, Who can help Al?????

CPD

Visit site
Al, a freind of mine (non-forumite) has a Magregor, and I believe belongs to a Magregor owners club. I have never ever sailed one, can see how he concept would work, and have pm'd you my mob no. Give me a call and I will pass on his details no problem.

Sixpence

Visit site
Only a two day sail so not really enough time to get much of a feel for them, but the only thing I would say having sailed other boats with different helms is that the small sports type steering wheel helm isn't something I would choose. Sailed on boats with large wheels and tiller and both are more comfortable, my hands were aching by the time we got past Orford Ness with sweaty sock taking pictures /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
Hi Trevor, good to hear from you
Agree with the advice to try a few other boats first, the McG 26 is neither a sail boat, or a mobo, it's both but doesn't handle like either, if you see what I mean. Great if you want to go when the wind is against you as you can motor through most of what you're likely to hit, but I found the water ballast thing for sailing a bit un-nerving. Each to thier own though, but well worth a trip on just for the experience. Try before you buy is the way to go

bastonjock

Visit site
well i suppose that id better chip in /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

i have a macgregor 26x,it has a 50hp yammaha big foot on the back

Its top speed is 60mph,lets see you beat that D3B /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
mind you thats when it on its trailer,on the water ive had it touching 17 knots,under sail ive had 8.8 knots ground speed.

it claims to be able to accomodate 6,i think that 4 is the maximum.

As for its handling.ive taken the entrance to wells harbour in weather that a keel boat would have been pounded to bits in,namely a Northerly F7,it draws as little as 9 inches and as much as 5ft with the keel fully extended,the keel and rudders flip up if you hit anything.

They dont point very well at best 45 deg and they get bullied by the waves but that 50 on the back can punch you through just about anything.

Its not a blue water boat but one guy,a world renowned explorer called Mike Dunn (id never heard of him too) mike has led expiditions for people such as Sir Edmund hillary and Neil Armstrong,anyhow mike has had his mac in 158mph winds,his comments were that the boat never felt like falling apart.Mike is currently somewhere between the Californian coast and Hawaii in his mac 26x

You can take a mac up rivers,through canals,and out around the coast,stick it on your trailer and go anywhere with it.

replacement parts are cheap in comparrison with other boats,a new mainsail is about 400 quid as an example.

in a nutshell,they are a "Jack of all trades and master of none"

In todays economic climate,they are a cheap boat to have and run,it costs me Nothing to park it in my back garden,nothing to pull it out of the water except for the diesel for my truck,this year im planning to trailer her as opposed to keeping her on a mooring,I can drive 12 miles down to the public slipway in Peterborough,pay a tenner for using the river,go through whittlesea sluice,down to Sutton Bridge and out to the wash and the N Sea,if i time it right on an Ebbing tide from whittlesea i can drift with the current,if i can find a public slipway on the tidal side of the nene ill use that and save the tenner /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This year i plan to drift down the nene,raise the mast after sutton bridge,then sail around to the Norfolk broads and spend a week exploring them.

There are a lot of people out there who will knock a mac,they are generally blokes with small willies who feel the need to make up a few inches somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pm me if you would like Al,ill send you my phone no if you would like to talk about a mac

also WWW. Macgregorsailors.com is a web site worth looking at and there is a UK Mac owners assosiation

Sixpence

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of people out there who will knock a mac,they are generally blokes with small willies who feel the need to make up a few inches somewhere

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so glad I didn't say anything nasty about it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Off to Wainfleet now, catch ya later buddy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bastonjock

Visit site
ive just read sixpences comments about the water ballast and the small steering wheel

The small wheel is a bit of a handfull in 6-8ft waves as dave found out,this can be overcome by modifying the steering,as for the water ballast,this guarantees that you will pop back up should you get hit by a big wave,recently in the States a mac owner was hit by a squall,he went over and a few minutes later the boat righted itself,the guy then went on to give assistance to other boats that had not righted themselves.

They are very safe boats,in all there have been about 7000 macgregors built,there has been to my knowledge one fatality and that was down to skipper error,14 people on a boat that has a big badge saying maximum of 6,not having the water ballast in and of course that old problem Alcohol

i would take my mac across the north sea with a favorable forecast and 24 gallons of petrol on board,like i said the 50 gets you there quickly,some guys on the mac forum regularly sail their boats in 30 mph winds,last year was my first full year as a boat owner,ive still got a lot to learn

for improvements to my mac,ill add an Ap,single handling without an AP is a bit much,as for the steering i am thinking of adding hand grips,like any boat there are lots of things that you can do to improve their performance

Rabbit

Visit site
HI there,
I love the concept and the boat.

The problem that I have,

is the THE FIRST TIME I SAW ONE i saw the mast, thought 3/5 notts.

Planned to steer safley in front.

ONLY to be passed at speed by a speed-boat with a mast. (river crouch)

IT made me think very carfully re sail boats.

All that said i would be pleased to own one.

kind regards,
Les

Other threads that may be of interest