Here comes big brother...

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
[ QUOTE ]
Are they really serious!!!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very! This has been discussed at length. Ok so 1984 was a little early but personal freedom is certainly on the way out. The next thing will be private vehicle journey control and tracking, ostensibly to track insurance and control congestion it will be used to enforce driving and parking offences and control young drivers.

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com
it,s to catch terrorists ??? "MY AR*E"..........IT,S so the hm.gov, can start a, leaving uk airspace tax, leaving uk waters tax, not staying where you are and spending here tax. dont forget that once its up and running, they WILL then start RETURNING HERE tax !!!! .......etc etc etc........dont you just luv em .........hm.gov , is short for, legalised theiving parasites.................. there....... i feel A BIT better now!

Blue5

Visit site
Na.............just dont tell em your going and on your return tell em your a migrant worker, you will then be treated like royalty and every possible benefit you are entitled to will be explained in detail /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

matelot

Visit site
Is it necessary> Well if you were going to smuggle in illegals or drugs or guns, I reckon you would give thought to using a small boat and some out of way port. The IRA did that and there are regular drug busts from yachts.

Whether recording everything will work I doubt. But the problem is that it isnt acceptable in our liberal society to tackle the root problems - getting rid of muslim nutters, topping drug dealers, making the UK unattractive to illegals. I mean you have to ask why all the illegals gather in France waiting to come here - what have the French done that makes staying in France unattractive?

So we go through the motions, affecting the 99% of us who arent the problem more than the 1% who are.

Robin

Visit site
So presumably it will be possible to travel freely by car between countries in mainland Europe but any movement to and from our once green and pleasant land will be monitored. Is that to keep the terrorists out of the UK or to keep our homegrown ones in?

Will it work? Well so far I believe most terrorist attacks in the UK have actually come from home grown sources, their indoctrination may have come from outside but then the government haven't yet perfected how to control thoughts and stop those from crossing borders.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I agree with you. One thing you should be asking though, is how the government know in advance what the "British" population will accept meekly with only a token protest that can be totally ignored. London based scenario think-tanks perhaps?

When was the last time the UK population staged a total one day strike?

savageseadog

Visit site
It's been discussed endlessly on here. I suspect that you like many other people including non boating people have had little idea this was on the agenda. The government has creating an avalanche of announcements, surveys, consultations,initiatives and so on. The problem being deciding which ones they are serious about. There has been precious little debate for which I blame the opposition. Was there ever a vote in parliament? I suppose there's probably a clause in some act passed a while ago that enables them to do more or less what they like.

Welcome to our floating prison. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

halcyon

Visit site
Next Monday on sat TV they are starting a re-run of the House of Cards series, shows how to take over a country, or was the blue print for new labour.

If not seen very worth watching, and goes a long to explain this thread.

Brian

snowleopard

Visit site
Yes, there are some who use small boats for illegal purposes. You can bet the scheme will do nothing to stop them any more than banning citizens from owning target pistols has stopped drug gangs from getting and using automatics.

N

NJMcK

[ QUOTE ]
...to and from our little island...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which little island are we talking about? The Isle of Wight? Or a smaller one?

Obviously not Great Britain, the ninth largest island in the world.

Apologies for the pedantry but too many people, especially journalists, talk us down.

N

NJMcK

[ QUOTE ]
Post edited..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm deeply impressed. Thank you.

Now, how to tackle the Times, Telegraph, Guardian, Independent. Mail, Mirror.....?

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Re: There went Big Brother...

From my first Channel crossing I was accustomed to completing form C 1331 and delivering it before departure. If we didn't go Part II was posted "Voyage abandonned"; if we did get there and back we sat looking up at the Q flag, prohibited from even a run ashore until HM Customs arrived to check us out, sometimes rummaging the boat from bow to stern looking for excess duty frees.

Not surprisingly I find this 'threat' rather innocuous.
Am I the only one?

nathanlee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, there are some who use small boats for illegal purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were running drugs, guns, or people, I would simply fill in the form to say I'm going, thereby blending in with all the other boat users that are heading off. Why wouldn't you?

I mean, what an absolutely pointless law. What about going offshore? What if you don't have internet access? Frankly, they can sod off if they think I'm going to fill in forms. I can't spell or read anyway, so I will make sure I ask for an aid every time I need to fill one in.

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Re: There went Big Brother

Postscript:
Researching this Customs biz prior to cruising the Channel Islands next month I find that form C 1331 still exists forty years on!
We still have to complete before leaving, still must fly the Q flag on return, there are restrictions on our duty frees - AND a phone call to HM Customs Yachtline is also demanded!

Nostalgia really does Rool OK!

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
Gordon's 'IRON CUTAIN', the Berlin Wall, Mao's China, Col Pot, etc. We've all seen it before and believed that dictatorships had finished. Seems Gordon Brown and 'New Labour' AKA The New Comunist Party haven't read the script yet. Glad I'm out of the UK, Glad I can put my hand my heart and say I never voted these tossers.

Why aren't the press complaining about it?
Why isn't there civil outrage at this draconian control?
Is Britain now a land of scared mouse like people who are scared of speaking out against this?

So much for the EU and open borders, only in/on mainland Europe it seems. I've not seen anything like this scare-mongering, we're all going to bombed tomorrow attitude anywhere else in Europe over the last two years. Still I suppose if you keep telling the public such stuff often enough, then they'll believe it.

Good luck to all of you left there, maybe you'll escape to the free world soon. Me, it seems I'll end up being some sort of political dissident or something and have my passport taken off me!

As much as not a Royalist, maybe the Queen should disolve parliment and take over the running the country.

jac

Visit site
Personally i think we should take the opposite approach,

If it gets implemented (and given that it's after the next election i would say is unlikely) Then i think we all need to file plans saying we're nipping over to cherbourg every friday during the season and then cancel on sunday voyage abandoned.

Tragically very few of us will be able to use the web site as we don't have computers on our boats so we'll have to phone it in.

I can't for 1 minute imagine that zanu lab will have designed it for massive simulataneous use so can't be that hard to make the website / phone system crash on a regular basis.

And better to be safe than sorry - just because we set out for a daring voyage from hamble to cowes doesn't mean that's where we end up so best just put down cherbourg for those trips as well - just in case.

awol

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Obviously not Great Britain, the ninth largest island in the world[/url].

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong! By the Haswell-Smith definition (and if anyone should know what an island is, he should) the addition of Le Tunnel bars Great Britain from the appellation of "island". You're just an offshoot of l'Europe, a sort of aquatic Luxembourg!

2Tizwoz

Visit site
People working in the employment agency sector are required to take care that candidates documents are in order. As we know there are large numbers of illegal immigrants living and working here. When they are found by the agencies and reported to the relative government department no further action is taken.

Gordon Brown is only interested in taking control of our money and spending it as he thinks fit.

Prudence isn't very good at looking after it or spending it wisely.

If we do tell someone working at some call centre that we are going on holiday, how long will it be before our homes are broken into as a result?