Hens' Teeth Moorings in Cornwall

ash2020

Visit site
Looking for a mooring somewhere in the Fowey, Polperro, Looe area and it all seems a bit hopeless. Any ideas? Does anyone have a mooring they're not using for the time being that I could rent off them? We have a small 20' Hunter Medina.

I thought West Scotland was difficult, this seems to be impossible.

Thank you for any help.

GEM43

Visit site
Looking for a mooring somewhere in the Fowey, Polperro, Looe area and it all seems a bit hopeless. Any ideas? Does anyone have a mooring they're not using for the time being that I could rent off them? We have a small 20' Hunter Medina.

I thought West Scotland was difficult, this seems to be impossible.

Thank you for any help.
I think the Tamar sailing clubs are the only fertile ground. Or Weir Quay further up. I’ve been on the waiting list at Fowey since 2016, nothing heard yet!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Thank you. She is on a trailer but the idea of towing down the tiny lanes fills me with dread.
Plenty of flat places in Plymouth with easy access down the A38 to launch.

Several clubs on the Tamar with moorings, while not the the Fowey, Polperro, Looe area they are a few hours sailing and you can play in Plymouth Sound if it is blowing a hooly.

ash2020

Visit site
Plenty of flat places in Plymouth with easy access down the A38 to launch.

Several clubs on the Tamar with moorings, while not the the Fowey, Polperro, Looe area they are a few hours sailing and you can play in Plymouth Sound if it is blowing a hooly.
Thank you. I'll bear that in mind.

B27

Visit site
There are issues with many of these moorings, they are not insurable for 12 months of the year, so now is not a great time to be looking for a mooring. A great many boats are brought ashore, a fair number winter on the few 12 month moorings.

The other problem is that the OP appears to be a non-resident, so many places won't even let him join the waiting list.
Sometimes people get short term sub-lets on moorings for a season at a time.

Looe, Polperro Fowey is a small area.
Polperro is a comedy, so that leaves Looe and Fowey.
Looe you have harbour commission below the bridge and a private yard offering moorings above the bridge mostly.
You'd need to drop the mast to pass under the bridge, can you do that every time, while afloat?

Fowey is, AIUI, all FHC until you get to Lostwithiel, where it's proper shallow, but there's a yard at St Winnow where yachts winter ashore. That's a few miles up river. You could talk to the commercial yard at Polruan?
Most of Fowey is devoid of yachts from late this month.

The Tamar, you could write a book about the various clubs, yards, mooring renting operations etc
There's also some on the East side of Plymouth.

A few years ago I had a semi-encouraging conversation about a winter mooring on the Dart.
There's a few farms branching out into offering caravan and boat storage, if winter ashore or dry sailing is an option?

ash2020

Visit site
There are issues with many of these moorings, they are not insurable for 12 months of the year, so now is not a great time to be looking for a mooring. A great many boats are brought ashore, a fair number winter on the few 12 month moorings.

The other problem is that the OP appears to be a non-resident, so many places won't even let him join the waiting list.
Sometimes people get short term sub-lets on moorings for a season at a time.

Looe, Polperro Fowey is a small area.
Polperro is a comedy, so that leaves Looe and Fowey.
Looe you have harbour commission below the bridge and a private yard offering moorings above the bridge mostly.
You'd need to drop the mast to pass under the bridge, can you do that every time, while afloat?

Fowey is, AIUI, all FHC until you get to Lostwithiel, where it's proper shallow, but there's a yard at St Winnow where yachts winter ashore. That's a few miles up river. You could talk to the commercial yard at Polruan?
Most of Fowey is devoid of yachts from late this month.

The Tamar, you could write a book about the various clubs, yards, mooring renting operations etc
There's also some on the East side of Plymouth.

A few years ago I had a semi-encouraging conversation about a winter mooring on the Dart.
There's a few farms branching out into offering caravan and boat storage, if winter ashore or dry sailing is an option?
Thank you for those points.
I am a resident. I now live in Polruan, just opposite Fowey. I've realised I need to change my account details here, I missed that one, thanks.
Winter storage won't be a problem, I can park the boat and trailer at home, it's just that I don't want to tow and rig every time we fancy a few hours on the water. Penmarlam boat park is probably my best option but as I say, haven't got to the top of the list yet.

GEM43

Visit site
I am a resident. I now live in Polruan, just opposite Fowey. I've realised I need to change my account details here, I missed that one, thanks.
Winter storage won't be a problem, I can park the boat and trailer at home, it's just that I don't want to tow and rig every time we fancy a few hours on the water. Penmarlam boat park is probably my best option but as I say, haven't got to the top of the list yet.
Be sure to join FGSC, a fantastic club and very welcoming!

B27

Visit site
I know the area quite well. Looe is a bit marmite, the tide goes out for real and the bottom of the river is hard, not sure it would be ideal for your boat? Parking is £££ and hard to find in Summer. I've done a few dinghy events there.
As well as moorings, parking and dinghy storage ashore are very important.
Towing and rigging every time would put me off, personally.
TBH here in Devon, you need to make yourself known as joining the locals, get to know people, commit to a club and all that.