Help!?!?!

Fernn

Visit site
Hi, I'm 15 and very much want to become a Deck Officer. I was wondering, I am predicted a C in all my exams but many companies look for a grade B and above in maths, does this ruin my chances of becoming a deck officer?
Also, for anyone with experience, what is the physical training like? It's not my best area haha!:)

Uricanejack

Visit site
Hi, I'm 15 and very much want to become a Deck Officer. I was wondering, I am predicted a C in all my exams but many companies look for a grade B and above in maths, does this ruin my chances of becoming a deck officer?
Also, for anyone with experience, what is the physical training like? It's not my best area haha!:)

No not ruined just more difficult.

You will be required to pass a Seafarer Medical and an eyesight test and a color vision test.

Where do you live?

At 15 you are not yet old enough. My first advice is there are better ways to make a living and better ways to see the world. Even so I don’t remember anyone I knew who regretted their time and experience.

If leaving school this year. 16 used to be minimum age. Minimum qualification's used to be 4 O Levels. including Math and Physics.
If not stick around and get A level or Higher Math and Physics. Or what ever it is now. Or at least improve your math.

I would suggest you drop by a carer day at your nearest Marine Collage.
Glasgow Collage Of Nautical Studies. Glasgow.
South Tyne Side, South Shields.
Warsash, Portsmouth I think.
Fleetwood, not sure if it still exists.
Liverpool , not sure if it still exists.

You will get info on course requirements and company sponsors for the seagoing stages.

It’s all very different to what it was back in my day.

Back then a straight C minus student like me could get several offers of employment as a Deck Officer Cadet. The Attrition rate was very high less than 1 in 3 would complete the program.
Most of us were in it for a good time more than a long time. Now though the good times are few and far between.

Ships are often large expensive to operate and spend little or no in port with few opportunities to get ashore.
Ports are bigger, more efficient, further away from town and often have security rules restricting crew from going ashore. Even Cruse ships deck crews get few opportunities to go ashore. Port tends to be when they are busy.

Now with world wide shortage of skilled seafarers a qualified ships officer can be in high demand and it can pay well.

Entrance requirements have increased and I am out of touch with todays industry in the UK.

Good luck

Last edited:

prr

Visit site
I was in Liverpool last year & the Collage is now a bus station......The Eagle Pub next door is now a Sony shop.... most of my other fav pubs still there.....except for 'Legs Of Mann'....

Uricanejack

Visit site
Is the County still there at South Shields?Not to forget the Voyager.

Its over 30 years since I last had a pint or 6 in the County.
The Westoe
The Ship
The Chelsea Cat
Ruperts
The Shore line, probably a classy wine bar now.
The Ferry Man

The Nostalgia of a miss spent youth. I wish I could miss spend it again.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Its over 30 years since I last had a pint or 6 in the County.
The Westoe
The Ship
The Chelsea Cat
Ruperts
The Shore line, probably a classy wine bar now.
The Ferry Man

The Nostalgia of a miss spent youth. I wish I could miss spend it again.

And the Ship and Pilot,The Beehive and a trip out to the Marsden Grotto?

Who said the 1970s was a **** time?I loved it.

wadget

Visit site
Do a bit of reading and ask a few questions on here:

http://www.officercadet.com/forum.php

Give me a PM if you have anymore questions, might be able to help as I've been through the training system fairly recently (qualified a couple of years ago)

Oh and there is not real physical training as such, as long as you are fit enough to pass the medical and the firefighting and sea survival courses you will be fine.

dharl

www.mhpa.co.uk
Fleetwood is def still there....Did all my deck tickets there as well as most of my short courses and simulator training there as well over the last 15 years.

to the OP, i would really recommend getting intouch with SSTG, when I was first a cadet they where one of the few outfits which still took cadets with GCSE's, most want A-Levels or even higher these days!

BrendanS

Visit site

Fernn, why do you want to be a deck officer? If we know that, we may be able to offer advice on other occupations that may be as good, but don't need grade B and above in maths