Help

Opsguy1979

Visit site
Hi all,

I wrote on here a few months ago with regards to sailing on the east coast. My situation is that I am trying to sell my Princess 32 after the sailing bug well and truely bit me a few years ago. The current boat is based on the River Great Ouse and im under no illusion that this will take some time to sell. Once she goes ill be looking at getting some form of bilge keel on the east coast somewhere.

What I would like to do is get some experience on the east coast to build my skills and pick peoples brains what to buy etc and generally get to know the area for when the day finally comes.

I have done some sailing with a friend including a channel crossing. I completed my comp crew course a few years ago and hoping to do my dayskipper theory later in the year. Although I have some navigation experience from my PPL which I find helps with the sea naviagation.

So the big question is does anyone know of any yacht clubs I can join in the area that may help me gain more experience? Or if anyone needs an extra pair of hands as crew Ill be happy to help so please let me know. I also dont mind getting my hands dirty come the winter to help out with the
maintenance side of things.

I work shift work so am available during the week as well as weekends and live in Herts so only about an hour drive from the east coast. Also to paint a better picture of me I am a 29 year old guy.

Any help would me must appreciated and the favour returned with a few beers.

Looking forward to your replys.

All the best

Karl /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MoodySabre

Visit site
Hi Karl

I don't know about clubs because I don't belong to any but I do have a Moody 31 at Bradwell and am often short of another pair of hands or company for an overnight jaunt. I'm an older git who is self-unemployed so weekdays are good for me.

I haven't got much planned but the tides are good for a trip up to Shotley on 18th April for THIS . Early start on Saturday - there for 1300 ish, meet some of the goons on here, see a bit of the Orwell etc and back home for 1700 - 1800 on the Sunday tide. You'd be welcome as I am probably crewless.

Rog

johnalison

Visit site
As they say, if you can sail the East Coast you can sail anywhere. Your idea of joining a club is an excellent one and you'll pick up a lot of stuff over the years that you don't get in classes.

On the whole, I would be thinking first about where I was keeping the boat, and then looking for a club in that general area with my kind of interests, cruising/racing. The posh clubs in W Mersea and Burnham are more user-friendly than in the past, but more expensive as a rule but nice if you want a defaced ensign. I used to drive from Herts and joined the Maldon LSC and enjoyed many years racing & cruising with them, but really there are a lot of friendly clubs around and a new member is likely to be welcome at any of them. Some of them require you to turn up before you can be proposed for membership (which is how it usually works) and a Sunday lunchtime visit to the bar is a good way of scouting out the place.

bendyone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi all,

I wrote on here a few months ago with regards to sailing on the east coast. My situation is that I am trying to sell my Princess 32 after the sailing bug well and truely bit me a few years ago. The current boat is based on the River Great Ouse and im under no illusion that this will take some time to sell. Once she goes ill be looking at getting some form of bilge keel on the east coast somewhere.

What I would like to do is get some experience on the east coast to build my skills and pick peoples brains what to buy etc and generally get to know the area for when the day finally comes.

I have done some sailing with a friend including a channel crossing. I completed my comp crew course a few years ago and hoping to do my dayskipper theory later in the year. Although I have some navigation experience from my PPL which I find helps with the sea naviagation.

So the big question is does anyone know of any yacht clubs I can join in the area that may help me gain more experience? Or if anyone needs an extra pair of hands as crew Ill be happy to help so please let me know. I also dont mind getting my hands dirty come the winter to help out with the
maintenance side of things.

I work shift work so am available during the week as well as weekends and live in Herts so only about an hour drive from the east coast. Also to paint a better picture of me I am a 29 year old guy.

Any help would me must appreciated and the favour returned with a few beers.

Looking forward to your replys.

All the best

Karl /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PM sent but no reply /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif