Help to other boat owners

greeny

Visit site
After having recently reported the unfortunate incident to The boat in Portimao last week on the liveaboard forum , it occurred to me that there are probably dozens if not hundreds of owners that are separated from their boats worldwide due to the covid travel restrictions.
Many will be in marinas but some may be in anchorages or other less secure places. I'm thinking it may be worth setting up an owners help forum or similar within YBW , where people can declare their location and others can then ask individuals on that list to give the boat a once over eyeball for them.
I'm very aware that there may be a legal responsibility creeping in if someone got too involved and there was subsequent damage but the opportunity to have someone eyeball your boat and even photograph it for you may be a great stress reliever to some absent owners.
Not being particularly savvy in the setting up of anything on YBW forums other than posting I would welcome input from the Moderators on whether this could be possible and how best to approach it.
I just think the incident in Portimao was a loss that could have been avoided had action been taken earlier and had the owner been aware of the situation earlier than I suspect he was.

Posted in Forum News and Feedback by myselfa few minutes ago hoping that we can get something going to help others who may not be able to access their boats at the moment and would like some re assurances maybe.
Apologies for the double posting but I'm aware that many "liveaboarders " don't go in the other forum that much.

Greeny based in Portimao.

nortada

Visit site
Hmm, nice idea, but I certainly wouldn't want to advertise on a public forum to all scroats and sundry that there is no one on my boat for the next n days

Always a judgement call for the individual owner but I suspect there would be many who would be willing to balance the risk of break in against total loss. Not sure declaring your relation to a boat increases that boat’s vulnerability, unless you provide unnecessary extra information.

Rather depends your circumstances; tucked up in a nice safe marina with mates close by or on a buoy in a more exposed environment.

This sub-form could be open only to registered users. The would reduce the treat of outside interest.

greeny

Visit site
Hmm, nice idea, but I certainly wouldn't want to advertise on a public forum to all scroats and sundry that there is no one on my boat for the next n days
Good point. The forum could only show those offering help and in what area. Any request could be by pm to the declared "eyeball" in the area of interest to you.

PlanB

Visit site
Mind you, as you mentioned in your other post. it is a disappointment that any other boat owners who were around didn't try to do something. I know that when we were liveaboards we frequently turned out for impending problems.